Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what's up guys I'm new here just started fixing up my caprice but running into lil engine problems and need some help but I'm only 20 and on a budget so ineed the cheapest but most thoughrough way out of this problem and I don't like taking my cars to shops I like getting dirty.. so here's my problem right now in the mornings or when my car sits for a couple of hours it takes a long time to start it.. It cranks but doesn't start till after like 6 or 7 cranks help plz people..

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Need more info to correctly troubleshoot. What year, model, engine?

-Mike

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Hey what's up guys I'm new here just started fixing up my caprice but running into lil engine problems and need some help but I'm only 20 and on a budget so ineed the cheapest but most thoughrough way out of this problem and I don't like taking my cars to shops I like getting dirty.. so here's my problem right now in the mornings or when my car sits for a couple of hours it takes a long time to start it.. It cranks but doesn't start till after like 6 or 7 cranks help plz people..
If turning the key ON a few times before starting the engine helps, then you most likely have fuel delivery problem. It can be either the pump or fuel pressure regulator.

Pull the vacuum line off the nipple of the fuel pressure regulator (on the fuel rail) when the ignition is ON. If there is fuel in the hose or dripping from the nipple, your FPR needs to be replaced.

Measuring fuel pressure is always helpful.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Thanks ima check that but anything else it could be? because it runs good once it acually does decide to start...
Try that first because it is easy and free. :)

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Most likely the anti-drain back valve in the pump is gone, turn the key on several times to let the pump prime up, then turn it to start. The fix is a new pump....mine lasted about 18 months before the pump died.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks everyone who helped it ended up being the fuel pump the pressure was down so the anti drain valve so I got it done and now I starts great next step is dual flowmasters hopefully tomorrow..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts