Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 impala ss that sat undriven for a couple of months. Before that I never had any problems, however now it turns for a while before it coaxes itself into starting then if I give it some gas it will stumble for a few more seconds. After that all is well. Any ideas? JZ.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
however now it turns for a while before it coaxes itself into starting.
What does this mean?? can you put this in other words? I want to help but dont know what the hell your talking about..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry. Stopped driving the car for a while and it sat. Had no issues. Recently started driving it again and it has trouble starting. Turn the key and it will crank for like 4 or 5 seconds and finally start but just barely. At idle at this point after starting it's kinda alright, and holds idle. Then if you put it in gear and give it a little gas it stumbles like it not getting any but just for 4 or 5 more seconds. After that it's pretty good/responsive. Cleaned up the throttle housing, plugs aren't the best but good not fouled. Was thinking maybe and injector that takes a couple of seconds to warm up but kinda stumped. But like I said after it's started and has a few seconds to warm up it runs alright. Thanks JZ.
p.s. If I've driven the car and stop it then get back in say like an hour or so later I don't have the problem so it has to be a cold start.

·
Premium Member
6,706 Posts
Try changing the fuel filter and putting fresh gas in the car, may be that simple.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Checked the fuel pressure, I had the same problem, after changing the optispark, plugs and wires, still had the same problem. Pressure was 0 psi with the key turned on, then only 12 psi when running. Normal is about 44 psi

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the changing the fuel filter didn't solve the problem, if I find out the fuel pressure is down what are my solutions, the pressure regulator or the pump? Thanks JZ.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts