Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i have an odd problem with the 96 SS i just got not too long ago. Out of the 5 grease fittings in the front end, the 2 left most fittings are almost impossible to grease. Literally if i put the gun on them i can barely squeeze the handle. The other 3 grease nice and free and the grease comes oozing out of the other end when pumped like normal. What gives? I thought maybe something was plugged but its hard to believe as it only has 19k original miles and stored in a climate controlled garage all its life. So ya, all easy miles. Anyone experience anything like this? Thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
Have you tried to change the fittings? They might be clogged.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Replace them! I had one on our 9C1 that was either not drilled through, or the check ball was jammed in it from the factory. Never could get it greased from the time I installed the tie rod end until I just replaced the zerk. They are cheap, and take a 5/16 wrench/socket to replace.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
There are a total of 11 grease fittings. Just cleaning each one very well with solvent will usually free them up to be lubed. If you have to replace, each area needs to be cleaned anyways.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried to change the fittings? They might be clogged.
Thanks for the response. No i haven't tried changing them yet just wanted to see what everyone thought first. Its funny as i didn't even think about it lol. Should be easy enough.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replace them! I had one on our 9C1 that was either not drilled through, or the check ball was jammed in it from the factory. Never could get it greased from the time I installed the tie rod end until I just replaced the zerk. They are cheap, and take a 5/16 wrench/socket to replace.

Thank you very much. Looks like i will just change them. It feels as if its not flowing obviously as when i try to squeeze the grease gun handle it is hard as hell.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are a total of 11 grease fittings. Just cleaning each one very well with solvent will usually free them up to be lubed. If you have to replace, each area needs to be cleaned anyways.

Thanks for the heads up. I remember the car had multiple ones as i bought it off my bro not too long ago but i used to do the maintenance on it. Its just been a while. So besides the 5 up front, where are the rest? Are there 2 on the upper ball joints?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Hey guys, i have an odd problem with the 96 SS i just got not too long ago. Out of the 5 grease fittings in the front end, the 2 left most fittings are almost impossible to grease. Literally if i put the gun on them i can barely squeeze the handle. The other 3 grease nice and free and the grease comes oozing out of the other end when pumped like normal. What gives? I thought maybe something was plugged but its hard to believe as it only has 19k original miles and stored in a climate controlled garage all its life. So ya, all easy miles. Anyone experience anything like this? Thanks
Had exactly the same problem recently. Greased six points and could not get any grease into central link to pitman arm junction. Probably need a new fitting. Let us know when you do that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys, went to the store yesterday and picked up some new grease fittings. I took off the two that were tough to grease. OK the first one looked kinda crappy but with the gun hooked up it shot grease out fine. The other one was totally gunked up and wouldn't let anything out. So here is the thing, i put the two new ones on and they are still tough to grease. I got grease out on the other end at least but after a couple easy squeezes it just gets hard to do again. Since i am not familiar with how it looks on the internal area of the parts with the fittings, is there something else that could be gunked up still making it difficult to pass the grease through? If so what do you recommend to clean it out? Very weird. On a side note, it was posted earlier about 11 total fittings underneath. Besides the ones up front, where are the others? I looked a little last night but was hard to see and the car wasn't lifted or anything. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Grease fittings:

4 - ball joints (upper & lower, each side)
4 - tie rod ends (inner & outer, each side)
2 - Idler arm
1 - Pitman arm

Stock driveshaft U-joints are lubed for life. Replacements may or may not be.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
"it only has 19k original miles and stored in a climate controlled garage all its life"

It seems possible it has never been lubed since new - not uncommon. A car that nice should not exhibit your problems. What kind of grease gun are you using? Is it a little mini gun or a one handed trigger job? A lever operated type will provide much more force. It sometimes takes 3 hands to do it right. Very important to make sure the gun head is tight on the fitting and stays there. Some of the fittings are difficult to access. You might be better off taking it to a good shop or dealer and pay for a lube job. They will have an air powered gun with the muscle to do the job. Hopefully you can actually talk to the tech doing the work.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"it only has 19k original miles and stored in a climate controlled garage all its life"

It seems possible it has never been lubed since new - not uncommon. A car that nice should not exhibit your problems. What kind of grease gun are you using? Is it a little mini gun or a one handed trigger job? A lever operated type will provide much more force. It sometimes takes 3 hands to do it right. Very important to make sure the gun head is tight on the fitting and stays there. Some of the fittings are difficult to access. You might be better off taking it to a good shop or dealer and pay for a lube job. They will have an air powered gun with the muscle to do the job. Hopefully you can actually talk to the tech doing the work.

Hey, i have one of the mini guns with a flex hose to reach the fittings. I have a jeep with several fittings in tight spots so that's why i went that route and have been using it for years. The one completely blocked fitting looked nasty. You could not literally see any holes in it, just all looked solid. Not sure if that was gunk that was hard as hell or an improperly drilled out fitting. Who knows. I might get one of the bigger guns just so i can get a little more leverage etc. Funny thing with my jeep is that its a 97 with 140k, seen all kinds of salt snow and other crap in the Chicago area all its life and those babies grease up real easy. It could just be the regular use of them too though. But ya it is odd with my car that its showing signs of sludge or whatever with so low miles and lack of bad weather riding. Either way im not gonna worry too much as i did get grease to flow through and puke out the other end. Just a little stiff on a couple etc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey everyone, just got in from working on the car. Put it up with the jack to get a nice clear view and spotted all of them. A couple that i missed(lower ball joints) im not sure how lol. But i got to 9 of them and was looking like crazy for the last 2 when i spotted them sideways, the inner tie rod ones i believe. I actually had to lower the car to get to those cause on the lift they were raised and the fittings were in a bad angle to get to etc. Anyway, they all flowed easy with no issues and grease came out pretty quick so none were dry:D With the miles this car is gonna get(1-2k per year max) i am just gonna hit them once a season. So thanks again and here are some pics from earlier on a little fall run in the south Chicago suburbs. I am so lucky to be 5 miles from these areas:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/578747864ecMSki

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Glad that you got them all. So what what was the difference that enabled you to complete the job? With that little driving, not necessary to do them that often.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad that you got them all. So what what was the difference that enabled you to complete the job? With that little driving, not necessary to do them that often.
Hey, OK originally i saw 5 off the bat. I figured 2 were on the upper ball joints but those are out of site and you kinda need to jack it up to get in there better. How i missed the 2 on the lower ball joints is a good question lol. But the 2 i had to look for were the inner tie rods since they are facing horizontal vs vertical. I did see some grease around the joints in that area which is what drew me to them. So as far as the 11 total that's how i found em, jacked it up and the rest is history. The 2 that were difficult just required the removal of the bad ones and a good greasing with the new ones. Ya they are still kinda stiff but do flow to get the grease through. All the other ones are smooth as can be. So i can say that i am happy that i found all 11 and greased all of em. Ill be doing the same a year from now.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Hey, OK originally i saw 5 off the bat. I figured 2 were on the upper ball joints but those are out of site and you kinda need to jack it up to get in there better. How i missed the 2 on the lower ball joints is a good question lol. But the 2 i had to look for were the inner tie rods since they are facing horizontal vs vertical. I did see some grease around the joints in that area which is what drew me to them. So as far as the 11 total that's how i found em, jacked it up and the rest is history. The 2 that were difficult just required the removal of the bad ones and a good greasing with the new ones. Ya they are still kinda stiff but do flow to get the grease through. All the other ones are smooth as can be. So i can say that i am happy that i found all 11 and greased all of em. Ill be doing the same a year from now.
So, replacing two clogged fittings with new ones was enough to grease the dry joints properly?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, replacing two clogged fittings with new ones was enough to grease the dry joints properly?
Hey, yep. Still kinda stiff but there is enough flow there to pump grease through and make it puke it out the other end etc.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
What thread size are the fittings? 1/4" -28?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Factory, AC, or other aftermarket? My luck runs to everyone is different. I would remove them and take the different ones to the parts counter to match. Or gamble and get a variety kit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts