Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
95 chevy caprice stock.
I was thinking it was the maf, but I am getting no codes.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will go check.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think it may be a vacuum leak, I heard a sucking noise while driving, but will a vacuum leak cause a hard start?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Is everything secure from the MAF to the TB? A leak in that area could cause it to act like that.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i checked my vacuum lines and found this, i just got the car out of the shop and i told them the lines were broken right there and needed to be replaced and this is what i found. Where can i get new vacuum lines and what is the name of the connector that should be right here. Can anyone tell me what they were trying to accomplish by doing this, and can where do the vacuum lines run and i will fix it myself.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is the passenger side of the intake.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I think that goes to the EVAP solenoid. They probably disconnected it and jumped it to prevent a CEL.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
will this cause the problems I am having. I don't want to use shortcuts, is rather just replace the solenoid and vacuum lines. I'm going to get this sorted out this weekends.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
It depends. On my caprice the elbow going from the throttle body to the pipe that then goes into the solenoid that this plugs into was rotted out and cracked badly. I can't get a replacement, thank you GM for discontinuing that part! I drove it for a while with it unplugged and capped the port on the throttle body, and aside from the CEL it ran fine. Is the solenoid still there?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
This is what it looks like if its all there

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no, can I buy a new evaporation soleneid and then use vacuum tubing to get everything running right again.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just need to know the size of the tubing and where the bottom line runs to.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I dont know the size off hand. The bottom line goes into the harness and then from there I think it goes into the charcoal canister. Hopefully someone can correct me on that. The elbow from the throttle body to the plastic pipe is 2 different diameters, which is why I couldnt get a replacement. You might have better luck getting this from a yard. Make sure the port on the throttle body where it goes to in the picture is capped off as yours is setup now. If its not, that will be a huge vac leak.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks I kinda want to check now lol, I'm out until tommorow evening, any more suggestions/advice from anyone else is welcome.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Not to steal your thread, but that bracket holding up the solenoid, is that a homemade piece? Mine just sits there since I deleted home plate and i've been looking for something to use.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
found one leak ay the th as suggested

·
Registered
586 Posts
The vacuum port on the TB is about a 3/8", while the vacuum port on the Evap purge valve is about 1/4". I cobbled together some pieces from my local autoparts store 'Help(TM)' aisle. They had an assortment of emission hoses and vacuum hose adapters. I found an 'S' shaped piece of emission hose that was the 3/8" diameter, and a 90-deg piece of emission hose that was the 1/4" diameter. I pulled the rubber hoses off the plastic line, and adapted the 3/8" to 1/4" using a vacuum hose reducer from the vacuum tee assortment package, and used spring-type fuel line hose clamps to secure it all together.

The whole assembly was a little long, because I didn't want to cut that plastic line, in case I found some rubber hose that was better to use, so I left the 3/8" hose a little long so things could 'snake' around a bit so nothing would kink.

HTH.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm getting a fuel pressure reading of 36-38 psi, I'm going to take it to the dealership and just tell them get her running top notch.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm just realizing they had my spark plugs wires routed wrong. hopefully this is the cause.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts