Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have the HA rear bar and received no mounting hardware with it from Herb Adams (I am also running Hotchkis Xtend Control Arms). So I bought the sway bar mounting kit from Totally Stainless. It had all the hardware for both front and rear bars.

However, the HO rear bar will probably come with all you need. My HO front bar did (although I used the Totally Stainless stuff instead).

One thing you may need is the Walker Stainless washers. IF you need them, you'll need at least 4 of them (some people buy 8). Contact Larry Walker.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got my HO rear bar today, but it did NOT come with the mounting hardware. Please give some more specific info to help me get the stuff I need from Totally Stainless.

I am also installing the front F-body bar, but I ordered the hardware that I'll need for that from Dal when I ordered the bar.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I too recieved my HO bar yesterday. I purchased the totally stainless Herb Adams Swaybar kit some time ago (kit comes with hardware for both front and rear).

The totally stainless hardware for the rear WILL NOT fit the HO bar. (I thought the bar was an exact copy ???) How do I know this: Long story
Basically, the bolts are too long, the shank too short, the bolt heads too skinny for my taste.

I originally used big grade 8 nuts as spacers because I did not want to use so many washers, but still, that was not enough. What happened was that the threads ended up grinding against the holes in the trailing arms (which I had to ream out a bit), runing the threads. I resorted to a cheater bar on one bolt, eventually breaking it off, and a hacksaw for the other three (would not recommed this, those bolts are rated at 170,000 psi and they are tough!)

The bolt heads are small and by looking at them, they might pull through. The washer I used between the bar and the bolt head because concave when I tightened everything up (can you say dangerous?) Guess I need a bolt with a large head and a 7/16" shank.

I do not want to ghetto the bar on; I want to do it correctly. I am a bit confused about what to do. The totally stainless hardware is supposed to be better than grade 8. Would grade 8 hardware suffice? I don't know. Brake bolts are grade 8, aren't they?

I thought about going to the hardware store, but I wonder if they would have all the stuff I need.

Hare are a few questions I have that maybe someone could answer:

1. The correct way is to use bolts that go through the trailing arms completely, right? I guess I could use those stock brackets to get the bar on with the stock bolts, but my guess is that going through the entire trailing arm would be much stiffer.

2. You are supposed to use some sort of spacer between the bar abd the trailing arms, aren't you? That, I have no clue what to do. Fender washers, maybe.

I guess I'll call Bruce at Malibu to see what hardware I would need. This whole project is getting crazy!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the Totally Stainless kit only works late style factory and after market lower control arms, and it sounds like you have the early style factory control arms. You can read about what you need here.
www.b-body.net/Technical/Suspension/Swaybars/swaybar2.html

Correction: Total Stainless sells kits for both styles of factory LCAs.

IMP5-2000 late 96 factory LCAs, also works with Hotchkis LCAs if you purchase additional flat washers.

IMP5-0000 94, 95, and early 96 factory LCAs
------------------
DGGM 95 Impala SS
[email protected]
Black 89 IROC-Z ragtop
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Rick HOSS (edited November 02, 2000).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are you guys using between the trailing arms and the rear bar? The biggest fender washers I could find don't even come close. I remember somewhere I saw some machined pieces that were made precisely for that purpose. Anyone know who makes them? Seems to me someone it's who makes stealthbolts . . .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's Larry Walker. He's getting out of the busineess but you can email him at: [email protected]

He makes stainless steel washers designed for the HA rear bar. I don't know if they work on the HO rear bar.

Good luck,
Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SSLimo,
If you have the older control arms, you might want to consider upgrading to the newer late 95/96 arms. I have heard one guy twisted his older control arm after installing the HA bar.

I had the stock new control arms with my HA bar, no troubles, but I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I upgraded to Metco control arms.

Eric

------------------
96 DCM motor, handling, drivetrain and interior mods
96 LT4 Corvette

[This message has been edited by Eric of Impalatine (edited October 27, 2000).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.