Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need to rebuild the engine wiring harness for the LT1/4L60E I'm installing in my '48 Chevy. I've been all over the internet looking for the very thin tape GM used to 'finish' their harnesses and haven't found anything that gives me any confidence it's what I want. The usual plastic electrical tape is much thicker and in my experience rarely holds nearly as well as the factory stuff, which is still readily removeable if you can find the darn end.

Anyone know a brand and part number or where I can find the stuff, or have any other advice?

FWIW I'm contemplating (but haven't decided for sure) removing much of the corrugated plastic loom and using the aforementioned tape to slim down the harness for appearance purposes. (One of the motivations for this idea is the fact that the harness I recently bought has been customized with red loom. Yuck.) Any thoughts on this idea are also welcome.

Many thanks, in advance. -- Gary

Real joy comes not from ease or riches or from the praise of men, but from doing something worthwhile. -- 
Sir Wilfred Grenfell

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Restoration shops like Eastwood have it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dennis,

Thanks for the link. I'm a little disappointed they didn't list any specs (temperature rating, thickness) but I'll give it a try.

FWIW I called around to electrical supply stores and got a recommendation for Scotch Super 33+ tape, available at home stores. Went out and got a roll and it seems somewhat better than the 99 cents a roll crap. It's good to 105°C and its thickness is advertised as 7 mil.

While I'm here, if anyone has any pix of harnesses they've built that they're particularly proud of, I'd love to see 'em.

Cheers -- Gary

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I received the tape Dennis recommended from Caspers Electronics today and am pleased with it so far. It's much more similar to the OE stuff than the Scotch 33+ stuff, although that may be fine for the purpose as well.

I had a little concern when I happened on a web site that advertised the Caspers tape and alleged it wasn't adhesive and needed to be tied at the ends. Happily, that isn't true, this stuff is just as sticky as you'd want it to be.

Thanks again, Dennis!

Cheers -- Gary

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I didn't see this thread previously, but just found it while searching for something else.

I use Super 33+ on all of my automotive electrical work, underhood and inside the car, and I've had very good success with it. It's maintained it's integrity quite well in wiring that is exposed to heat from the exhaust, and it's still easy to work with when it's very cold outside also.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Mercedes makes great tape. My friend is a tech and he would give me rolls back in the day. I know about 7yrs ago the roll of tape was going for about $50. Its nice stuff though. Used it all over my nova. You probably have to contact a dealer..Look into it!

·
Registered
216 Posts
The harness tape Chevrolet (actually Packard Electric made the harness) used in the 1970s is non-adhesive and is available from Corvette restoration shops -- Corvette Central, Paragon, Ecklers and on and on. They used the same kind of tape, but narrower in the 1960s. The narrower tape is not available.

I haven't taken apart any of our B-body harnesses, so I don't know exactly what was used.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts