Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

has any one replaced steering pump shaft seal?

8K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  BALLSS 
#1 ·
I've been searching for any tips about replacing the shaft seal on the power steering pump. I know that $70 for a pump at RA isn't much, but $6 for a seal kit is better. I have the FSM, so know what the idea is, and I have my pulley puller from HF. Unfortunately I have a little troubleshooting on my husband's Alfas to do today, but hope to get back to the war wagon on Thursday, when my hoses and seal kit arrive from RA. If I get his cars sorted, then I can get to my power steering stuff today. Being a wife AND the head house mechanic is tricky.

:smile2:

Veronica

#2 ·
I'd try the Lucas P/S fluid additive,along with fresh fluid before doing anything else. May not be a problem after all if it stops leaking.

#3 ·
If you are not disassembling and pulling the shaft, the best way I have found is drill two tiny holes in the seal and screw in a couple sheet metal screws to grab and pry it out.

Before you remove the pulley , make sure it doesn't move side to side.
Would be pointless to replace a seal if the bushing-shaft is bunned.

If you have the manual, you will read somewhere the shaft will not put up with any load in or out.

#4 · (Edited)
I tried a "rebuilt" pump, total waste of time & money.
Thing leaked badly, on examination very poor quality rebuild.
Crud and RUST inside supposedly "rebuilt" pump.
I think they just replaced the front seal, and repainted it.
They sure did NOT rebuild it. It was in a sealed ATSCO remanufactured box.
Lost my core too...
Not first time I've had problems with "rebuilt" PS parts either.

I rebuilt a junkyard pump myself with a cheap kit, leak free, and still working well.

I say go for seal replacement, BUT if the shaft is the reason for a leaky seal it may still leak.

The rebuild kit I bought had a new bushing, so I went for broke, disassembled/cleaned parts, polished shaft, replaced the bushing.
It was messy, but a very easy afternoon project.

#5 ·
Thanks! to all of you that responded. This pump has been leaking a long time. I almost went for a complete rebuild kit but it was going to take longer to get here, and the weather was moving in. I will check for play in the shaft. I LIKE the idea of drilling the holes to get the seal out. Brilliant! I saw the bushing in the rebuild kit, but being an idiot, didn't know what it was. I can't wait to tear into this! Tomorrow promises to be snowy and rainy, but Thursday sunny. I'm hoping to be left all alone to work on the rig. My parts are due to arrive then as well, so perhaps I can be all ready to install them when they arrive. We are down to NO driveable cars at this point, so the pressure is really on me.

V

#6 ·
If all else fails and the rebuild goes bad, stay away from a replacemnt pump from the parts stores. All kinds of bad stories out there on rebuilds from the store. This pump I believe is specific to our cars unlike the other lt1 motored cars.

IMHHO - find yourself a low mile GM unit from a donor car. I found one on eBay a few years ago that I sealed up and placed on a shelf for when mine gives up the ghost. At least I have a quality (used) GM part waiting.

There are also the option of getting yours professionally rebuilt by Lee. A little pricey but you know it was done right and will last. GL.

#7 ·
Thank you for that 4Door! Can you send me the info on Lee? I have no experience with rebuilders except knowing that a good one is hard to find! I do have first hand experience with shoddy parts... Weather today is snow, rain and wind, so am cleaning up all the messes I have inside, and hoping for a day outside to play! Did I mention that the husband's Alfa sedan is leaking gasoline? I think I get to figure that one out before I get to play with my car. Sigh.

V

#8 · (Edited)
Power Steering Products and Services | Lee Power Steering

Lee was temporarily out of biz when I needed a new PS pump but have re-opened now.

My shaft broke at the rear. Took 3 auto part store remans to get one that worked....and still does. It is a real crap shoot on reman PS pumps

Lee is not cheap. Turn One is another source IIRC

If its just a seal go for the repair yourself...although you may find your shaft is scored form seal wear so you won't know until you pull the old seal off

I used that PS pulley install/remove tool that was at Autozone "loan-a tool" program. Very plug & play to R&R pulley with it

#9 ·
yep, the pulley install/remove tool works great and is NEEDED to do this. When installing a Billet Pulley, I just took the Pump to AutoZone and we swapped the pulley right there on the counter. But it is a press on fit so you need this tool.

#11 ·
Wow! Thanks for those great pictures. So, turns out that I have to drop the gas tank on the husband's Alfa, so I'm full steam ahead on the wagon. The PS rebuild and two long hoses arrived today. Bad weather is starting Sunday, so I decided to wait on pulling the pump and doing the rebuild. I need a car. I'll probably try the Lucas PS additive in the meantime.

SO. This AM, first thing, I Kroiled the steering gear box fittings, hit them with a little heat from the HF gun, and then removed the alternator and the pipe fitting at the back of the PS pump. Then I did the clamps, and cleaned stuff up. When I finally went to twist off the high pressure pipe from the steering gear box, I didn't even need vice grips. An open end wrench did the trick. It just broke loose immediately. The pipe was so rotten that I didn't even have to cut it - it just twisted itself off!!! So, both hoses from the gear box are replaced. I ran out of light so I still don't have the low pressure side connected to the reservoir. Unfortunately the pump to reservoir hose isn't arriving until Tuesday, and I need a car before then, so tomorrow I am going to try to reinstall all the stuff I had to take off. It's not a bad job if you already have the water pump AND coolant reservoir off.

I cannot believe my luck at getting those pipes off.

I hope to be driving my wagon SOON. If I still have problems with misfiring, etc., I will put in a new ICM. Sources for good new ones? I should have been paying attention because I bet someone has already put this info out. But I didn't.

:x V

#13 ·
Sounds like your home free getting the 3 metal fittings of the old hoses off. :wink2: Really think it's better to replace them old hoses. Forgot to tell you to be careful with the larger Reservoir hose going down to the pump. They used to be a hard find but glad to hear you were able to source a new hose. I bought a Couple when they were available.

found a pretty good video you may want to check out. Older style pump with the reservoir attached but I believe the pump itself is basically the same. At least it may help and give you an idea of what to expect. I found it kinda interesting since I never rebuilt one myself. GL with the redo and let us know how things go.

#15 ·
What are all the metal pieces that look like shims?

I put my car back together without getting into the PS pump. We had an emergency with NO cars, so had to forego messing with the pump. So far, so good! The wagon runs GREAT with its cleaned-up Opti, and the crankshaft seal seems DRY. I need to clean up the rest of the pan and see where oil is still coming from. The oil filter adapter is a suspect, as well as everything else (oil temp/pressure sensor whatever it is).

Thanks everyone for giving me the info and courage to do this job. My car is back on the road thanks to all of your help! And the job was really not that hard.

:x

Veronica

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.