1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Get aluminum if you want performance. Get cast if are going to use it as a daily driver. You dont want aluminum heads on a hot day sitting in traffic.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Are they gonna melt?
WTH..no
Aluminum has different heat characteristics than the cast iron head. Some say the difference between the aluminum and iron block can cause blown head gaskets...

·
Registered
501 Posts
WTH..no
Aluminum has different heat characteristics than the cast iron head. Some say the difference between the aluminum and iron block can cause blown head gaskets...
True. I have never heard of anyone with iron heads blowing head gaskets. but I have heard of camaros and trans ams blowing head gaskets.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
1. If you're gonna get this engine, get the aluminum heads. Anyone who tells you differently shouldn't be giving LT1 engine advice :cool: !

2. I've heard this guy does good work but I wouldn't buy a 383ci LT1 that had a cast Eagle crank. But hell.....that's just me.

3. Heads have virtually no work done to them. Not a bad thing but really.....not a good thing, either. Just know that you'll leave a lot of power on the table.

4. BTW.....I ain't buying his power claims (stock heads with the CC-503 cam).

5. By the time you make the proper 'upgrades' that this guy will charge you for, you may be better of going else where ;) .

KW

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
1. If you're gonna get this engine, get the aluminum heads. Anyone who tells you differently shouldn't be giving LT1 engine advice :cool: !

2. I've heard this guy does good work but I wouldn't buy a 383ci LT1 that had a cast Eagle crank. But hell.....that's just me.

3. Heads have virtually no work done to them. Not a bad thing but really.....not a good thing, either. Just know that you'll leave a lot of power on the table.

4. BTW.....I ain't buying his power claims (stock heads with the CC-503 cam).

5. By the time you make the proper 'upgrades' that this guy will charge you for, you may be better of going else where ;) .

KW
I'm not gunna do any upgrades I'm really just looking for for a new motor that puts down decent power and daily drivability for the price
And The valves are bigger arnt they 1.96s doesn't stock have 1.94s
He says I can get 3 different cams if I want but I'd like a mid range cam

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
......And The valves are bigger arnt they 1.96s doesn't stock have 1.94s......
A three-angled valve job on slightly larger valves is nice......but still, the heads haven't seen much work.

I'm not gunna do any upgrades I'm really just looking for for a new motor that puts down decent power and daily drivability for the price.....
Well.....this engine (IMHO) should fit the bill ;) !

KW

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A three-angled valve job on slightly larger valves is nice......but still, the heads haven't seen much work.

Well.....this engine (IMHO) should fit the bill ;) !

KW

Sounds good thanks

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
Idling in traffic does not cause head gaskets to fail. Aluminum heads run cooler than iron heads, so I am having trouble with that line of logic.

·
Registered
372 Posts
True. I have never heard of anyone with iron heads blowing head gaskets. but I have heard of camaros and trans ams blowing head gaskets.
It happens. Iron heads here and my head gaskets blew a few years back. The heads have been decked (top and bottom) and topend resealed.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
Idling in traffic does not cause head gaskets to fail. Aluminum heads run cooler than iron heads, so I am having trouble with that line of logic.
I hear ya ;) !!!!

KW

1 - 15 of 15 Posts