Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was researching about this and love the idea of ditching the opticrap and getting the ls1 coil distributor but EFIconnection wants 2 grand for the kit.... has anyone done this home made cheaper budget?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Its been done, perhaps check ls1tech.com or google. Yes it can be done cheaper if you have some wiring skills, it would require you getting a junk yard harness and pcm from a ls based vehicle along with the coils, cam, crank sensor and a 96 lt1 timing cover. A 24x crank reluctor, cam reluctor, and cam sensor housing are available thru eficonnection.com

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its been done, perhaps check ls1tech.com or google. Yes it can be done cheaper if you have some wiring skills, it would require you getting a junk yard harness and pcm from a ls based vehicle along with the coils, cam, crank sensor and a 96 lt1 timing cover. A 24x crank reluctor, cam reluctor, and cam sensor housing are available thru eficonnection.com
why would you need a ls1 cam?

and how much do you think this would cost overall?

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
i was researching about this and love the idea of ditching the opticrap and getting the ls1 coil distributor but EFIconnection wants 2 grand for the kit.... has anyone done this home made cheaper budget?
Yes it has been done and you don't have to go with EFI Connections system.

Read up on the common failure points in the optispark and it isn't going to be the optical sensor it is the rotor and the spark energy going through it that causes issues. Not saying that the optical sensor doesn't ever go out, but it is pretty reliable.

That being said google LTCC or bob bailey, he makes a box and harness to use the LS style coils and remove the spark energy from the optispark, there is also Delteq, which by the last time that I was told was gone.

I have both systems, I have LTCC on my Caprice and I have a Delteq on my RMS, both great systems.

FWIW if you were going to go with EFI connection setup don't half ass it and piece part it together, just get the whole kit from them, they are good guys and know what the hell they are talking about. No point in trying to make some junk yard sh** work, you will end up spending more money.

Being that you have a 96 if you went with a cable throttle the kit would be 1500 bucks, you don't need to go with the 550 coils and brackets they sell you can get those used, but let them make the harness and other stuff.
http://www.eficonnection.com/24x/24x_Hardware.htm

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Good condition junk yard **** works well when there is a budget to consider. This guy here lsxswap.com can take your lt1 harness and graft the lsx harness to it for cheaper than what the efi cost is. Get all the corresponding parts from a jumk yard, craigslist or wherever and you'll still beat $1,500.00.

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
Good condition junk yard **** works well when there is a budget to consider. This guy here lsxswap.com can take your lt1 harness and graft the lsx harness to it for cheaper than what the efi cost is. Get all the corresponding parts from a jumk yard, craigslist or wherever and you'll still beat $1,500.00.
Yeah good condition junk yard stuff is fine, but it is more relative to a complete engine swap. That is my opinion though. Sure you can use coils and harnesses and all that from the bone yard, but if someone knows what the hell they are doing and what has to be done, it is money well spent, even on a budget to have them do it.

Yeah I know Anthony pretty well, we have talked quite a few times, I wasn't aware that he was making harnesses to make the EFI connection system work and it is doubtful, but he can chime in here. I wouldn't think that it is rocket science, and highly doubt he is going to do the grafting for next to nothing. I am not sure either if he puts all new connectors on the harness either, which EFI does.

You should really add it all up, and I am not trying to be a dick, but think about it a little bit. you are going to have to buy at least the reluctor and all that stuff from them, that is over 500 bucks. Say on the cheap side Anthony charges 300 bucks to make an LT1 harness work, you are still going to need an LS computer for probably 100 bucks I would assume, set of coils and wires and all that at least 150 bucks if not more. that is about 1050 and without all of the little nick nack sh** that you would need, connectors that are going to break etc.

As you can see it adds up quickly, let alone I am sure that you are going to have to tune the LS computer for the LT car, and I am betting that the EFI guys already have that nailed down instead of scratching your head trying to figure stuff out.

I just don't see the advantage if you are going with this setup to half ass it as I said to save a couple hundred bucks, isn't worth it in my eyes. Tell me where I am wrong in my opinion. And honestly I think that the only benefit in going with an EFI setup is if you have a built motor and need more tuning options that the LS computer is going to give you, I don't think that if it is a factory motor you are going to see any benefit.

Also a complete engine swap is a COMPLETELY different scenario, unless I read it wrong it isn't what he is inquiring about.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah good condition junk yard stuff is fine, but it is more relative to a complete engine swap. That is my opinion though. Sure you can use coils and harnesses and all that from the bone yard, but if someone knows what the hell they are doing and what has to be done, it is money well spent, even on a budget to have them do it.

Yeah I know Anthony pretty well, we have talked quite a few times, I wasn't aware that he was making harnesses to make the EFI connection system work and it is doubtful, but he can chime in here. I wouldn't think that it is rocket science, and highly doubt he is going to do the grafting for next to nothing. I am not sure either if he puts all new connectors on the harness either, which EFI does.

You should really add it all up, and I am not trying to be a dick, but think about it a little bit. you are going to have to buy at least the reluctor and all that stuff from them, that is over 500 bucks. Say on the cheap side Anthony charges 300 bucks to make an LT1 harness work, you are still going to need an LS computer for probably 100 bucks I would assume, set of coils and wires and all that at least 150 bucks if not more. that is about 1050 and without all of the little nick nack sh** that you would need, connectors that are going to break etc.

As you can see it adds up quickly, let alone I am sure that you are going to have to tune the LS computer for the LT car, and I am betting that the EFI guys already have that nailed down instead of scratching your head trying to figure stuff out.

I just don't see the advantage if you are going with this setup to half ass it as I said to save a couple hundred bucks, isn't worth it in my eyes. Tell me where I am wrong in my opinion. And honestly I think that the only benefit in going with an EFI setup is if you have a built motor and need more tuning options that the LS computer is going to give you, I don't think that if it is a factory motor you are going to see any benefit.

Also a complete engine swap is a COMPLETELY different scenario, unless I read it wrong it isn't what he is inquiring about.
yeah i love the idea but i couldn't really afford it, i would just go with a new msd optispark or a better aftermarket optispark then the stock one that's on my car atm.

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
I merge the LT1 harness and a LS1 harness to operate a LS1 engine.

My 82K mile LT1 engine is going away soon as I have time to pull it. I do tune plenty of LT1's but have no reason to own one any longer.
I know this man LOL, someone was thinking the other way around. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.