Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fixing up a 1984 Chevy Impala, and I'm wanting to install a set of the 88-98 Chevy/GMC factory steel wheels with rings and centers. My current bolt pattern is the 4.75" and those wheels are 5".

Is there an easy/inexpensive way to go about with changing spindles, rearends, etc. I'd also like to avoid adapters if possible since they will push the wheels out pretty far up front.

Thanks,
Pose

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
No :D

Seriously, ya gotta do one or the other. Adapters, switch suspension parts or redrill wheels(well, that's one of three, but anyway). You eliminated the first two and I'm not sure the last is an option with those wheels. I mean I'm sure they can be drilled but I think they have the "bulge" where the lug seats and I'm not sure they would be safe without that. Someone with more knowledge than me on redrilling would have to chime in.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about the re-drilling option, and thought of the conical seat issues as well. May be doing 'Vette rallies and cop car centers after all.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Don't take it the wrong way but you have so many wheel options in the current bolt pattern. Why put the effort into switching anything

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Good question and excellent point.

I had seen a pic of a 1989-90 9C1 Caprice with those wheels and really liked the look.

The "dirt cheap" factor comes into play as well, since I'm fixing this ride up for pennies on the dollar (Paid $300 for it and drive it 60 miles daily). Trying to stretch the budget using junkyards, craigslist, and other bargaining methods. At this rate I should have it in great shape with some upgrades for less than $1000.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
You can find rally wheels all day long for cheap, real cheap.

Doing that conversion will dip into it.

There are more wheel options for 4 3/4 then 5x5.

Id stick with it if it was mine.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True, true. Just found a pair of "Chevy rallies" and hour from me for $25 for both, so definitely worth checking out.

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
Not as hard as a conversion on a later model b-body, because there's no abs to worry about.

The only way conversion is remotely cost effective is if you can get everything cheap, and I don't think you can. You'd need front rotors and rear axles from a boxy 9c1, or from a wagon.

Just get the used ralleys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.