Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm looking for someone who has used zq8 bumpstops in a lowered car. I know a lot of you b body guys who have lowered their cars use the zq8 bumpstops to lessen the bumps caused by not enough suspension travel caused by dropping it. I need some info on them to know what to expect and how to mount them. I should say I'm not dropping a b body,I'm thinking of trying them on a corvette I have lowered. First how tall are they[for mounting]? Did you mount them with a air gap or touching at ride height? How much will they compress before they get really stiff? If you had to shorten them, how much could you cut off top and still have them get progessively harder and not be too stiff? Any info would be helpfull. Thanks Tim

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
the correct way to trim them is to gently pry the urethane part out of the metal cup. Trim the flat BOTTOM off the bumpstop, not the pointed top.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That helps. Looks like they are only a couple of inches tall, that was the main thing I needed to know.I'll just have to try them. Thanks Tim

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
the correct way to trim them is to gently pry the urethane part out of the metal cup. Trim the flat BOTTOM off the bumpstop, not the pointed top.
YES! Very easy to do with a dremel, and get good results.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Once you trim bottoms what do you use to glue them back in with? Can anyone tell me how much they will compress before getting stiff? I don't have a lot of room to work with so I need to know if they will have room to slow the stop down and still have all of suspension travel possible. Thanks Tim

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Once you trim bottoms what do you use to glue them back in with? Can anyone tell me how much they will compress before getting stiff? I don't have a lot of room to work with so I need to know if they will have room to slow the stop down and still have all of suspension travel possible. Thanks Tim
I was wondering the same thing. I'm about to put spring springs on the front.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The GM ones ig got are not glued in. There are 2 or 3 tabs that are bent over that keep it in place.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I bought one to test fit. I ordered one for a 2003 s10 at a local parts warehouse, [not from gm] but they said it was same as 15956547 but white not orange like in picture. This one has 3 tabs bent over into groove in bumper side to retain bumper into metal bottom. You must have to cut new groove in bumper and bend tabs over again into bumper. I'm a little worried I'll limit suspension travel by not knowing how far lower control arm needs to go up . The place I'm mounting it has 2 1/2" total clearance,and gives you apx. 1/4" free space above bumper at ride height, so I could mount it as is. Tim

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have used zq8 bumpstops with my hotchkis lowered springs and bilstein shocks set up for four years now and i have a great ride still when driving over bumps or rough streets :D

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Ok I bought one to test fit. I ordered one for a 2003 s10 at a local parts warehouse, [not from gm] but they said it was same as 15956547 but white not orange like in picture. This one has 3 tabs bent over into groove in bumper side to retain bumper into metal bottom. You must have to cut new groove in bumper and bend tabs over again into bumper. I'm a little worried I'll limit suspension travel by not knowing how far lower control arm needs to go up . The place I'm mounting it has 2 1/2" total clearance,and gives you apx. 1/4" free space above bumper at ride height, so I could mount it as is. Tim
I think the 1/4" space is probably good. I think mine was about that with impala springs. I took our the bumper 'just to see'. If you do trim it, I don't see a reason to regroove it or touch the tabs. Just pry it back in and the tabs will bite into the body as is.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I have used zq8 bumpstops with my hotchkis lowered springs and bilstein shocks set up for four years now and i have a great ride still when driving over bumps or rough streets :D
word!
But im using edelbrock IAS shocks smooth ride all the way!!

Switching to Belltech Nitro 2 Drop schock in the front I wonder how the ride is going to feel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts