Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's how it began...took out front d/s brake bolt(brake line) while doing suspension work. Put it back together and bled it. Pedal still goes to the floor...Found the copper brake bolt washers were leaking, installed new ones and that stopped the leak, rebled, and still goes to the floor. Repeated process multiple times just to be sure it was bled completely. Oh and yes, i did refill reservoir :) Is it just bad timing that the master cylinder is bad???

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
You may have completely bled out the master, and may have to "bench" fill it. There are a couple threads about filling the master cylinder from the git-go.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's what a friend of mine suggested, i'll be doing that this week when i get time. Now that you have mentioned the same thing it leads me to believe it's an easy fix. Sounds better than replacing a master. thanks.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bench bled it well, and guess what, relieved all the air out, bled all four corners well...and still no pedal pressure. Is there a way to bleed the abs block??? You can hear a mini typhoon in the master cylinder reservoir when pedal is pushed. I might try a new reservoir seal for the heck of it, then it's a new master cylinder and front rubber brake lines at the wheel cylinders if this keeps up. Shouldn't be the master cylinder though since we did seem to remove all the air from it when we bench bled it. Any suggestions are welcome, but i think i need to see if there is a way to bleed that abs block next, incase it sucked air down into it as well.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been told by a professional, that abs block should totally bleed out when bleeding master cylinder and all wheel cylinders. I have purchased a new master cylinder, just bad timing that it went out i guess...we'll see once i get the new master in. Hopefully tonight.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, new master cylinder, all rebled, still bad. Next is new front brake lines and bleeder bolts.
So much for buying another wagon...i hate being addicted to b-bodies...

·
Registered
76 Posts
iam in the middle of the same problem right now. i replaced a rear line and i have no petal. changed the master and still no petal.. i guess iam doin calipers.. was it the fronts?? i have 4 wheel disk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Save your self the headache and money i deal with chit like this all day long. Just make sure your resevoir is full and keep an eye on it to make sure it stay full while bleeding it. Then start from square one all over by bleeding the whole system starting from the farthest wheel away from the master cylinder and work your way closer by a method call back bleeding, Fill a little container with brake fluid about half ways and install a vacume hose from the bleeder, Attach the hose to the bleeder tight and with the other end of the hose inside the container with brake fluid have some one pump the pedal as you watch for air bubbles once you see the bubbles stop and see all fluid being push thru then close that bleeder screw and go to the next one until done with all 4. This is the best method of getting rid of air pockets... Just my .002 cents

·
Registered
76 Posts
thanks man. thats what iam goin 2 try 2night. and see where that gets me..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good luck... Hope thats saves you a headache and some money

·
Registered
76 Posts
ya me 2. i didnt get 2 try it last night. ill be doin it 2night.. ill keep u updated. could a caliper be bad and not shown a visable leak?????

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah calipers can go bad leaking internally bypassing the piston seal, but if it wasn't bad before i cant see that being the problem but it can happen just bad timing can throw you off for a loop. Well keep me posted and let me know what happens.

·
Registered
76 Posts
thats the thing. i just bought this car. its a 94 caprice 9c1. its not my ss doin it. i bought the car off a friend on one of the local forums. he stoped drivin the car after the brake line went. he dosent know alot about cars. so i had the car towed 2 my house and after i did the line these are where my problems began.. i just got 2 new calipers, pads, rotors, wheel berrings for the front doin those just 2 do it. after that ill fully bleed everything. if it still does it.. then ill burn it lol:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
ok.. so i installed new calipers, pads, rotors. 2night. blead the right rear first then the left rear. right front and left front.. brakes are perfect now!! the old pads were worn down 2 nothing and i think soneone installed normal caprice pads on 9c1 calipers because the pistons on the calipers were way out of the caliper. so it had no more 2 push out and grab. that would be a reason why i had no pressure... thanks for your help on this

·
Registered
68 Posts
No problem glad you were able to figure that out....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts