Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
Bill -

Money sent.

Thanks for getting this kit together and all of your help.

Hubs, calipers, and pads are next.

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
I know Bill has provided a thorough thread with direct links about his kit, but here are pixs of the KORE3 hubs that you need to order separately:

NAPA calipers:

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
studs/

Bill, I went with the M12 press in studs.

M12x1.5 is the standard size stud correct?

KORE3 will press the studs in correct?

Sorry, I guess I should have ask the guy at KORE3 when I ordered.

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
....here are pixs of the KORE3 hubs that you need to order separately:

Understand that the final product is black anodized--this is a fairly old photo--screw-in 1/2" studs, and the hub snout configuration has been modified to add more clearance at the outer end to provide room for wheel center caps that snap into the wheel--several aftermarket wheels could not run caps with the older design hub. Tone rings are not included.

Bill, I went with the M12 press in studs.

M12x1.5 is the standard size stud correct?

KORE3 will press the studs in correct?

Sorry, I guess I should have ask the guy at KORE3 when I ordered.
M12x1.5 is correct and the studs are already pressed in (default is ARP)

Mav, I hear you--the thread is so old that the mod & admin don't allow editing.

Here's a current Wilwood link, though it may not stay good for very long, as Wilwood seems to re-shuffle info on a regular basis:

http://wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperList.aspx?subname=GM D52 Dual Piston

correct for HD12: http://wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperProd.aspx?itemno=120-10936

2-caliper kit with pads:
http://wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitListFront.aspx?mincatdesc=D52 Front Caliper Kits

correct for HD12: http://wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront.aspx?itemno=140-11290

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
HD12 - Black Friday special pricing - 2013

Black Friday special, good from Nov 29th to Dec 6th, 2013

Standard - $472.50 (normally $525) - 10% discount
With cryo plain rotors - $510 (normally $575) - 11.3% discount
With cryo slotted rotors - $525 (normally $600) - 12.5% discount

Please contact me directly via PM or e-mail for full details!

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Over the years, as I was looking at how to accomplish what eventually became HD12, I did essentially what was to become the Astro setup. I never created parts to install, since I decided it wasn't a viable approach. Some time later, the KORE3 hub came into existence, and the final HD12 configuration was always based on that hub.

If I get what you're thinking or wondering, the answer is that HD12 is not compatible with cut-down stock rotors as hubs without some compromises that I am unwilling to make.

That said, I can't stop someone from using HD12 rotors and then coming up with their own hub adaptation. Enough time, material, and a good machinist can accomplish alot.....but I'm satisfied with the HD12 setup as I developed it--I do understand the cost issue, but, with brakes being a critical vehicle system, and the fact that I can't control what someone else does if the KORE3 hub isn't used, it leaves me exposed if I was to endorse an alternate hub package for HD12 that is home-grown, thus I would not be able to know if it will work without issues.

The main criteria includes having the ability to control the critical fit/clearance between the hub OD and hat ID, lateral position of the rotor in relation to knuckle and caliper, and to prevent the loss of hub register with the wheel--the HD12/KORE3 hub combination addresses all issues quite satisfactorily.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Yep, you got what I was getting at and I get what you're saying. Just felt the door was open to the question as the KORE hub is priced out separately.

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
Installed by Nab at EFI Performance in MD.

Look great and are heavy duty.

Bill thanks for a great product and a great purchasing experience.

HD12 rotors, KORE3 billet hubs, billet dust caps, Caddy HD calipers (NAPA reman), and Hawk HPS pads:

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
I’ve been in touch with Bill and decided it’s time to pull the trigger on this HD12 kit. Up to now, the stock rotors with upgraded pads and fluid have done ok on smaller tracks that don’t tax the heat capacity of the rotors. But now, wanting to run at tracks like NCM and Mid-Ohio with multiple straightaways and big braking zones, it’s time for an upgrade. And we all know I can’t give up the drag racing, so this kit will still let me run the 15” skinnies up front.

I don’t know when he was planning to announce this, but I wanted to pass along the word that Bill said he’s offering 10% off on the rotor kit between now and ISSCA Nationals, ………and he’s making a contribution to ISSCA of $25 for each kit purchased between now and Nationals.

So, if anybody has been contemplating a brake upgrade, now would be the time! - for some savings to yourself and benefitting OUR ISSCA :)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Thanks Pat,

I bought both my sets at ISSCA Nats. Love my HD12 kit on the car now, and cant wait to finalize my second set with Bill

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
I’ve been in touch with Bill and decided it’s time to pull the trigger on this HD12 kit. Up to now, the stock rotors with upgraded pads and fluid have done ok on smaller tracks that don’t tax the heat capacity of the rotors. But now, wanting to run at tracks like NCM and Mid-Ohio with multiple straightaways and big braking zones, it’s time for an upgrade. And we all know I can’t give up the drag racing, so this kit will still let me run the 15” skinnies up front.

I don’t know when he was planning to announce this, but I wanted to pass along the word that Bill said he’s offering 10% off on the rotor kit between now and ISSCA Nationals, ………and he’s making a contribution to ISSCA of $25 for each kit purchased between now and Nationals.

So, if anybody has been contemplating a brake upgrade, now would be the time! - for some savings to yourself and benefitting OUR ISSCA :)
Also, another good thing is you will shed about 5 pounds on each wheel with the new hubs. Estimate from Nab when he installed them on my 9C1.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Also, another good thing is you will shed about 5 pounds on each wheel with the new hubs. Estimate from Nab when he installed them on my 9C1.
Bonus!
I was expecting it to be a wash with the thicker rotors.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Feedback

After a good dry outing at the NCM track yesterday, I'm impressed with this kit.
The track has at least 3 hard braking zones, and through a 30 minute session, the brakes held up so well that my tires (Nitto Proxes RA1) were always the limiting factor in the braking zones.
The heat management, more heatsink capacity with the thicker rotors plus better more open cooling vanes within the rotors, is a marked improvement over stock.
I'm running Hawk HPS pads and ATE fluid.
Also, replacing the stock lines with these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Techna-Fit-Stainless-Steel-Braided-Brake-Lines-1994-1996-Chevrolet-Impala-SS-/381026843192?hash=item58b6f83a38&vxp=mtr
helped give it an excellent solid pedal feel.

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
in case you missed it

I'm extending the ISSCA Nationals HD12 & brake upgrades special through Labor Day.

I won't be able to deliver kits during August due to other commitments, but I'll be happy to put you on a list and honor the pricing offer if you're interested.
A final reminder - just in case anyone missed the previous announcements!

For the past couple of years I've provided an HD12 front brake rotor kit for ISSCA to auction off to raise money to cover event costs. At the expense of Chris Fish, who managed to snag both kits by out-bidding everyone else both years in Charlotte, ISSCA took in some nice extra loot.

This year, I'm offering a 10% discount on the base HD12 kit, normally $525.00 - each brake kit I assemble has a degree of "custom build" involved, so the offer will be contingent on a 50% deposit for your brake order by the conclusion of Nationals.

Please contact me by PM or e-mail to [email protected] - for more details, including the sedan or wagon rear kits.[/COLOR][/B]
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Heads-Up for HD12 owners and prospective owners

For current and future HD12 front brake users, I wanted to let you know a couple of things.

1. For those using/choosing slotted rotors, the inventory is nearly depleted--two (2) pair of replacement rotor rings, in the 6x6 "wiper slot" configuration, remain available. There will be no more.

2. There are still plenty of "plain" rotor rings available.

3. I do plan to attend ISSCA Nationals in Indianapolis next month, and will be able to bring replacement rings for anyone who may need/want spares, with no added shipping cost.

Pricing for replacement rotor rings:

Left/Right, directional-vane, includes new lock nuts & washers

a. PLAIN $195 per pair

b. 6x6 Wiper Slot $235 per pair (two pair only--first come, first served)

For delivery, if not attending Nationals, a flat $20 shipping charge applies, for a pair of rings.

Please contact me by e-mail (below) if you desire to order replacement rotor rings or a complete HD12 kit.

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Fair question--the demand for replacement HD12 rotor rings has been VERY low over the years. The current situation is only to make owners and others interested aware that the slotted option will not be available once the 2 sets are gone.

I can only encourage those with HD12 to consider getting a spare set if there's a concern about future availability and plans to continue using the system.

I don't intend to leave anyone high & dry. Worst case would be that an HD12 setup would easily convert to a big brake system for reduced cost, since the hubs are the same.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts