Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current set-up is a stock head, lt-4cammed, cast flat pistoned 383....... I can get a set of unused Elliot stage-1 for $800 or new bare AFR heads w/full CNC porting Cam wise, whatever Elliot suggest with his, or Comp 501 with either? Car has shorty headers, 2.5 w/X-pipe, Stock TQ converter, 3.73. Not worried about quarter mile time, just looking to improve performance with good streetability and not to kill gas mileage completely..............Thoughts and imput from experience please cause opions are like as------ , well anyway........... Thanks, RBU

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Assuming you're talking about assembled heads, then it's an easy call, get the LE heads for $800. The LE heads would definitely out perform the as cast AFR heads and you won't get assembled AFR heads for anywhere near that price.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
Also.....a 501 cam will likely be way too small for a 383 with LE heads.......compression ratio for those heads on that engine may call for a cam with about 224/228 degrees of intake duration.

Finally.....AFR makes about 4 or 5 different LT1/4 heads. Without telling us exactly which heads you're talking about we can't be sure whether any other head will out-perform them. However, and as stated, you're not gonna find a set of assembled AFR heads for anywhere near as low as $800.

KW

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
My current set-up is a stock head, lt-4cammed, cast flat pistoned 383....... I can get a set of unused Elliot stage-1 for $800 or new bare AFR heads w/full CNC porting Cam wise, whatever Elliot suggest with his, or Comp 501 with either? Car has shorty headers, 2.5 w/X-pipe, Stock TQ converter, 3.73. Not worried about quarter mile time, just looking to improve performance with good streetability and not to kill gas mileage completely..............Thoughts and imput from experience please cause opions are like as------ , well anyway........... Thanks, RBU
At $800 get the Elliott Heads.
501 Cam is a good street cam for a 350
There are a lot better selections for a 383.
Contact Bullet cams for a custom design
or
get one of the new LT-1 cams from LE.

D

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts