Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i'm lookin through the "how to rebuild lt1 engines" and it says something about degrees and torqing. Does anybody know just the torque specs on the "1-2-3" without having to use the degrees method??? btw i'm using aluminum heads thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so 70 lbs. for the final pass and this is for alum. Heads? IS that with any oil or anything on the bolts?
I thought I heard ARP recommeneds 65 with their moly and 80 with just 5 w 30 oil??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok i'm thinking anything in between 65# and 70# for the final pass is good. on the first pass 22#-50#. if nab runs 10's on a stock block thats good enough info for me

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Btw thanks for that info..on the head bolts, wd. ARP bolts be the same can I just use the 50 and then the 70 dry with no moly and with thread sealer will that change the specs at all??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
77 is the real number and that's with the teflon tread sealer on one end and oil at the top. Actually 80 is not too much and is a good round number to torque to. The steps are 50, 60, 70, 77 then 77(or 80). Start with the center bolt and work in a circle. Do this correctly and you won't blow more head gaskets then years then you've been alive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mike,
So with using these alum . Heads and ARP head bolts I wd. put thread sealer on the bolts and what say 5 w 30 oil as well and torque all as you say? Does it matter using the ARP bolts as they say something they require diff. specs when using their bolts??? ( 65 lbs with their moly and 80 when using just 5 w 30 oil )

Also do I need to use loctie as well so they won`t back out , I don`t think so but might as well ask that as well?

Thanks Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried that bullsh*t they talk about and pushed a gasket on the fourth dyno pull. Teflon sealer on the threads and oil at the top, 77 to 80 ft lbs, no lock-tite any where and you're good to go.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Mike,
I appreciate that info from ya...

Chris

oh and that thread sealer is just the same stuff plumbers use for pipe threads white in color that comes in a tube, or should I buy the stuff GM wants 20.00 a tube for ??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.