Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My aunt has a bad head gasket on her 95 roadie and the local shop where she lives told her that it pays 16.8 hours to replace it. Does that sound right to you? I thought that it was way to high, so i looked it up on alldata at my shop and it does say 16.8 hours. It has been a long time since i have done one ( and probably will do this one for her too ) but refresh my memory why it is so much? I can't believe that it should pay much more than 6 - 8 to do both sides? thanks again

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Got a lot of stuff to remove. Accessory brackets, manifolds, valve covers etc.. Yea it is about right.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Are you positive it's a bad head gasket? They very rarely fail on these cars. How have you determined that it's bad?
+1 on that. I smell a ripoff in progress. Get a better diagnosis of the problem at a shop that knows what they are doing with LT1's.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Why is it a rip-off??? The only way is if there is nothing wrong & they get replaced anyway. Book time rate from "MOTOR" manual is 18.9 hours. Any mechanic familiar with a chevy v8 can do this job. They are not complicated.
My 'PROFESSIONAL" opinion is get a second opinion or make sure. Have them do a leak combustion check on it.
Of course we are going on little info here anyway. We are not sure what was happening or why the car is in the shop. DO WE???

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
It's a likely rip off because it is highly unlikely that the problem is a blown head gasket!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
But without all the facts we can't possibly make an intelligent decision or point him in the right direction can we??

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
You were willing to encourage him to proceed with this based on the same lack of information.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all you have told me, but i finally got the car towed over to my shop...... it is the head.... I guess that she had driven it a couple of times and it overheated a few times. the water pump has been leaking.... well i guess it is going to be expensive. I have sent the heads out to check them and make sure no cracks.. time to order a new water pump and distributor!!! thanks all

·
Registered
8,637 Posts
Is there an online site for looking this stuff up, Ozzy?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts