Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as getting my heads ported, does anything else on my lt1 need to be changed/ported along with it? How much should it cost and what kind of performance difference will it make? Also, should this be done before installing a new cam? I appreciate it fella's.

oh p.s.
How would I find a good head-porter? I live in central florida.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
AI or LE, both good.

Steve

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Do your homework/research. You are going to have it apart so do the cam at the same time...and have the cam & heads done by the same people, they will know what works together. If you just port the heads & throw a big cam in it you are wasting your money. Do it right the first time. You will be way happier and spend less in the long run.

There are several school's of thought on performance upgrades. Some start from the back to the front I.E. Gears, posi, tranny, converter, then engine, others go from the front to the back..I.E. engine first...then replace the tranny & rearend you are going to blow with the new power you are putting out ...which one goes first is a crap shoot.

Heads & cam without a GOOD exhaust & CAI will be pretty doggy as it will be all choked up at both ends, and a stock converter might handle the power, it won't work well as your power band is more than likey going to be a bit higher in the RPM range than a stock engine.

Whatever your budget is...add about 20% for 'unknown' little stuff that you will forget...like new springs, retainers, locks & rocker arms for those heads, gaskets, bolts, fluids.....you get the idea.

That's all for now.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Instead of doing a mod and hoping for results, I would instead recommend that you set a performance goal and then choose your modifications to achieve that goal.

It will be cheaper in the long run and you will get better performance to boot if all your modifications are chosen to function together, rather than slapping a mishmash of mods on the car and hoping for the best.

For example, if you want better times at the track or faster launches from the stoplight, then you would change to a high stall (> 2500) converter. On the other hand, if you are really looking for better passing power on the highway and don't care about the track, then a high stall converter doesn't make as much sense for you and you would do better to spend that money somewhere else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.