Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys quick question.
I have Gen II Try Ys on the way and notice some header bolts are missing or broke. So what should I do about it? Wait and try to get them out when headers get here or get new heads and install them same time as headers? If new heads what should I get? I am very new to actual mods with engine internals or heads. So any advice let me know. Eventually I wanna do springs and lifters too if that makes a difference. I also dont wanna remove the cam/crank just strictly heads.

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
Ok guys quick question.
I have Gen II Try Ys on the way and notice some header bolts are missing or broke. So what should I do about it? Wait and try to get them out when headers get here or get new heads and install them same time as headers? If new heads what should I get? I am very new to actual mods with engine internals or heads. So any advice let me know. Eventually I wanna do springs and lifters too if that makes a difference. I also dont wanna remove the cam/crank just strictly heads.

If the bolts that are broken are at the very front or very back of the stock manifolds you will be OK. Stock cylinder heads have TWO bolt holes on the very front and very back of the heads for the headers/ manifolds to bolt up to. The aftermarket headers will use the ones that the factory did not use, which are the inner bolt holes. If any of the other bolts are broken off aside from the very front or rear, you will need to either drill and tap them or weld a nut to th ebolt if possible and back it out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
What Shane said. If the bolts are too hard to get out and you're short of cash, you could also just buy another set of stock heads.

Even though you don't want to swap the cam, I'd suggest swapping in new valve springs anyway. The stockers are probably tired and you can pick up 40 or 50 hp even with the stock cam, because the right valve springs will allow you to rev another 500 or 600 rpm before they float.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thx guys.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I had an exhaust manifold bolt break off, took it to a local machine shop who drilled and taped it for 20 bucks or so. add in the price of a head gasket and intake gasket...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts