Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Originally posted by Blue Wail:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by I Boil Lobsters:
Nab,

Just because Karl did it don't make it right.
Silicone,RTV, has a place, and that ain't it.
It may not be right in your book, but it works.
If you ask me, putting BARS leak into a cooling system is not the "right" way.

-Nab
</font>[/QUOTE]especially if you car has a heater core and you value it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
what luck have people had with just regular teflon paste like i put on my arp bolts.

i didnt re use the head studs because i dont like working around them and i find them clumsy.

has anyone had them leak when teflon sealer has been applied?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Originally posted by Dustman:
what luck have people had with just regular teflon paste like i put on my arp bolts.

i didnt re use the head studs because i dont like working around them and i find them clumsy.

has anyone had them leak when teflon sealer has been applied?
Hey Shane, I tried ARP thread sealant and just cannot get it to work 100% for studs.

Now just to be clear, I use the RTV only on the studs gonig into the block. ARP thread sealant or GM stuff is used for head bolts.

If you use RTV maybe make sure to use The Right Stuff. It is used as oem gasket material at the Land Rover assembly plant in Baltimore Maryland. (they over use it...LOL). There is little chance of bits of the RTV breaking off and clogging your radiator accept upon disassembly. 1 small $11 can will go a long way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well maybe the gf's dad friend doesn't know anything, but he is in the engine builders hall of fame last time I checked. ;) He uses/recommends Black RTV on the threads that go into the block, and uses a basic teflon paste on the threads for the head bolts.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.