Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Pioneer head unit, it already had a creadle in there before the previous radio was stolen. The head unit sits crooked, does NOT go all the way, it sticks out about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch.

Im thinking, go to Crutchfield and get the adapter that mounts to it. Secondly, will this adapter even fit the car?

This is for a 95 Fleetwood.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Don't know about a Fleetwood but on the 94 Chevy wagon I had to dremel out some plastic in the back to get my Alpine in flush.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my old 96 Fleetwood, I had to bust out the back of the stock radio cavity to get my aftermarket decks (Kenwood, then Alpine) to sit flush in the dash.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where were you getting these dash kits from?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by UndercoverPunk:
where were you getting these dash kits from?
They don't make a dash kit specifically for the Fleetwood, but the guys here have found a few that can work with some inginuity.

I was talking about opening up the back of the stock radio cavity to gain a little extra room to allow the aftermarket radio to sit back into the dash further.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To get it to sit flush you need to remove the plastic from behind the head unit. It is also a good idea to remove the ECC unit when installing the head unit. Removing it will allow you to get your hand behind the head unit and keep the wires from bunching up behind it preventing it from going all the way in.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I havn't opened the dash on the wagon yet, so I guess ignorance is bliss...

ECC=electronic cruise control?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have already broken the plastic out behind the radio and no difference.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by 2-B1G-w00ds:
I had that problem when I switched from my Kenwood to my Alpine deck. The Alpine unit was just a tad deeper. So what I did was go to a stereo shop and got a 1/4" spacer for the head unit. I looks like a dash sleeve, but only 1/4" thick. You slip it onto the sleeve before you side the sleeve into the mounting kit. Should only be a couple bucks.

Here's a (not so great) shot of it that I found in my archives.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by UndercoverPunk:
I havn't opened the dash on the wagon yet, so I guess ignorance is bliss...

ECC=electronic cruise control?
Close... ECC= Electronic Climate Control

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by 2-B1G-w00ds:
I have had a hard time getting mine in flush too. The trick is keeping the wires from behind the head unit. There is room for them to bunch up behind the air vents on the sides and behind the ECC. I have an Alpine the has the RCA jack that plug directly into the back of the head unit. I had to get 90-degree RCA adaptors and arrange the wiring coming from the wiring harness so none of it was behind the head unit. It is a pain but can be done with some patience.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can the kit be flipped over? I am not sure if it is the same as the Impala but my in dash monitor sits flush and I don't have a pocket kit. My monitor is lower than that radio pictured in this thread. I would see if it will go all the way in at the bottom. If it does then modify the kit and flip it. Just a suggestion.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I that kit is for a double din. IDK if there is one for a 1.5 din, but it would be tight.

You could always get some ABS and make a kit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts