Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
560 Posts
1,100.00 FOR INSTALL ? :oops::rolleyes:
It is on the high side. These cars are super easy to remove the manifolds off and slide the headers in. No idea what shop time is for replacing exhaust manifold gaskets.

Now that I have done it once I would say it probably only takes a day to install. I just fart around a lot and don't get anything done.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
1,100.00 FOR INSTALL ? :oops::rolleyes:
It does sound high to me too, but I guess everything is expensive now. I can only tell you that XP did a great job on the corvette I mentioned. That was a big and expensive project though.

This is certainly a DIY project for a patient person. Do you have access to a lift?
I put mine on and off myself many times, but some of the bolts have to be accessed from underneath.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of our mechanics will moonlight and do it on a Saturday. It will cost me probably 200.00 . I'm just impatient . I sold my impala that had slp headers on it,( paid 300.00 for used set) and bought another one that needs headers😄. (Not 300.00)

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
One of our mechanics will moonlight and do it on a Saturday. It will cost me probably 200.00 . I'm just impatient . I sold my impala that had slp headers on it,( paid 300.00 for used set) and bought another one that needs headers😄. (Not 300.00)
I have had those headers on and off enough times where I would gladly pay $400.00 to avoid the task. May I recommend tipping the mechanic. FWIW, I used good gaskets and fasteners to avoid future annoyances.

Oh yeah, and I recommend re-checking the bolts after running the car through a few heat cycles.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
To add to what nsaness said, they have locking header bolts now. Haven't tried them myself, but some of the forum members swear by them. Worth the money if they keep your headers from loosening up.

Reactions: nsaness

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
1,100.00 FOR INSTALL ?
Stock replacement of exhaust manifolds:
2.8 hours right side
1.6 hours left side

Not including:
Extra time to remove rusted bolts/studs, or extra time to prevent damage to 25 year old hoses and wires.
More time required to get in the headers.
More time to get the old cats and pipes to bolt up with the non factory parts.

New hardware, new plugs and custom wires.

Possible extra time to remove broken bolts/studs from block.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
A good write up with suggested extras.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
I FINALLY GOT MY CLEAR IMAGE HEADERS FOR MY 96 IMPALA . IS THERE ANYONE IN THE OKC,OK AREA THAT INSTALLS THEM ?
You’re better off getting some penetrating oil and some map gas and give it the old college try yourself first, most performance shops are scared of touching the old red headed stepchild black sheep gen2 sbc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts