Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a set of hooker super comp shorty headers just was wondering if any 1 has heard good or bad things about them.I know everyone is gonna say I should have went with tri-y but I live in California and the smog laws suck so I went with card legal shortys! And If any one has some suggestions on Header gaskets I should run.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Use the Percy's Aluminum gaskets will help prevent blowing out and they have one designed for the LT1 heads. ARP makes a good set of bolts, I personally recommend using the 3/8"-16 threaded bolts that are 3/4" long(standard SBC header bolts) with hex head(so you can get to it with either a socket, box wrench, or open end wrench). You can get the collector to catalytic converter gasket from your local GM dealer they should have it in stock for about $7 each or so if my memory serves me. One thing I would recommend doing is getting them ceramic coated inside and out will help minimize corrosion and also help keep the heat in the exhaust system to help lower underhood temperatures. - Peter

·
Registered
338 Posts
the ONLY problem i see with those headers is you have to remove them if you ever want to get under your valve covers for anything. When i installed my headers. I changed out my valve cover gaskets. As a just in case thing. Its a good time to check for any oil leaks around that area while your in there. Good luck with the install. Take your time. I installed my SLP headers in one weekend but that was takin my time and B.S. time.. I started Saturday 8am and was driving it Sunday at 7pm..Enjoy your quality time with your SS!

+1 on the Ceramic coating the header. The engine bay will get plenty HOT if you dont.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot I already got some hex head header bolt there the 3/8-16-3/4 for the SB chevy so i got to the chevy dealer and get the collector gaskets . But where do I find the Percy gaskets at and also I seen on summit they have the same hooker gasket that is originally sent with the headers.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The Percy's gasket is part # Percy's 66031 and that is a link to the Summit page for quick access. A little price at $31 plus shipping but as long as you keep the bolts properly tightened they should not blow out. - Peter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts