Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know WHY the SS got the black strips at the top of the headlights??

(I am looking for an aftermarket oem-style replacement but they do not have the black decals. One listing also claims there are other “minor cosmetic” differences between their Caprice headlights and the original Impala ones.)

But again, my main question is what’s the purpose of the black? What would I be missing out on without it? Thanks.

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
The PAINT on the headlights is probably to control the amount of light that exposes the panel lines between the hood and fender, as well as the hood and light itself. The paint is the only thing that is different between the Caprice and Impala lights.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Then why didn't they do it on the Caprice as well?

You also capitalized PAINT
I was under the impression it was an applique.
Pretty elaborate masking job around the lens retainer clips if it is paint.
I have never touched a brand new SS headlamp so it is not impossible the ones I have were redone .
Do you have an untouched painted one so I can stand corrected?
Anyone ?

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
I had some in the past, and they were scratched like paint.

The Impala was more expensive, so they could indulge in a few "special" touches.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does anyone know WHY the SS got the black strips at the top of the headlights??

(I am looking for an aftermarket oem-style replacement but they do not have the black decals. One listing also claims there are other “minor cosmetic” differences between their Caprice headlights and the original Impala ones.)

But again, my main question is what’s the purpose of the black? What would I be missing out on without it? Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts