Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty out of the loop with headlight options, I was thinking we could make a thread listing all the current options that are out there for headlight upgrades.

LED?
Upgraded harness with 100w bulbs?
Projector?

I remember when forum member Miket was making a bad ass looking set of projector lights, but those are long gone. Are there any current options to convert over to a modern headlight design, either HID, LED or projector? I'm leasing a 2019 silverado LT1500 with LED headlights, I would love for my impala to have the same lighting abilities. Makes driving it a lot more enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
If you can still find those clear lens headlights that were offered on Ebay, that would give you the best light by retro-ing some projectors into them. Did that to the 91 before it got sandwiched between two cars. The 95's waiting from me to open up the lens and fit them in. Did the crown vic over a year ago. Awesome light. All the rest will just produce glare and piss off oncoming drivers. Except for the 100w bulbs as they still are properly focused in the housing. Used to run those prior.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
There are a few companies online that sell kits with projectors. I've been noodling on building out a xenon / projector set myself. For a good, top-notch system, you're looking at about $450 in components and then an additional $125 or so for the ebay clear headlights. I have also seen LED conversion kits from the same vendors. They run another $100 or so over the xenon. The thing that is stopping me is the yellowing of the aftermarket lenses. They don't seem to last long.

·
Registered
11,288 Posts
Just putting LED bulbs in the stock headlights will improve lighting 2-6X You can get them on ebay for cheap. Get a kit to make the OEM lenses clearer, and you will be surprised at how bright the lights are. I put a set in my 92 with slightly yellowed lenses, and the lenses make it a little easier on the approaching drivers. It still outperforms the OEM bulbs by an incredible amount. With so much light available, the pattern is not an issue. It is almost like the difference between a flashlight, and daylight. I have only had one driver flash his lights at me in 3 years.

You draw much less current with an LED than an OEM bulb for the same output, so the original wiring should be sufficient. The conversion factor between LED and incandescent is about 6X as much light for the same wattage.

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was hoping to do something similar, but wanted a view on the fitment of the housing. Quite a gap on the bottom. Are there any out there that don't have a gap?

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
On mine that gap is filled with oem rubber moulding attached to the bumper cover. And I'm running SStreetLights.

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
The poor appearing fit in the picture above is not the headlamps.
There are filler pieces missing on the bumper that are missing.

If you use the clear side pieces, you can move them around to fit better.

The "euro clear" lamps fit the body just as good, or bad :) , as the production lamps.
Problem, apparently you cant buy them any more.

I have them with bi Zenon High lows , the ones the bulbs move for beam selection
Lots of light, fair pattern.
Mine were early ones so they don't have the mask in the center so there is a bit of a hot spot looking at them
People don't flick their lights at me but that may be because they know they are looking at crappy low beams and don't want to experience the high beams.

Have had some low flying aircraft give me the finger though ;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I was hoping to do something similar, but wanted a view on the fitment of the housing. Quite a gap on the bottom. Are there any out there that don't have a gap?
You will probably not find anything that does not rely on the black rubber trim to fill the gap. Look at the top of the page- the red and black cars have different lights, but the same gap under the lights. The green car has a bigger gap under the passenger side than the driver's side. There are some adjustments, but they are limited by how high you can raise the bumper and how far down you can move the headlight housings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts