Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Niether of mine work on the front seats but I can still adjust the back of the seat. The light comes on when i switch on the seat heaters but they do not get hot. I've taken the switch panel apart and cleaned all the connectors but it did not help. I'm not sure what else to do, anyone else had this problem or know what to try next?

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
The wire in the seat is probably broken. The best repair is with a crimp connector.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
First, does the pump motor run? If not, it is electrical. You are going to have to remove the seat(s) to check it. It could be a power wire. Get your VOM out and start checking the wiring for power and grounds.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
First, does the pump motor run? If not, it is electrical. You are going to have to remove the seat(s) to check it. It could be a power wire. Get your VOM out and start checking the wiring for power and grounds.
When i move the switches for the lumbar support i hear a relay click but the seat doesnt react. I'm going to remove the seat this weekend and check everything. Turns out the passenger seat heater works but not the lumbar support:confused:. Is there one pump for both seats?

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
The seats are self contained, and one does not affect the other in either mode. The power wiring for the seats may have common sources, but the motors, and pumps are located in each seat.

The wiring controlling the heaters turns them on from a single source, but the elements are in parallel, so one can work, and the other not. So it looks like you only have to fix the driver's side heater.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm glad I only have to fix one seat heater that looks like an in depth job. Is the pump obvious or is it hidden, do you happen to have a picture of what it looks like?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Sorry to threadjack but what's the hose that runs under the carpet from seat to seat, I wanna say something with lumbar??? My 94 (3way lumbar) had this but 95 (1 way lumbar) didn't? Racher, does yours have it?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to threadjack but what's the hose that runs under the carpet from seat to seat, I wanna say something with lumbar??? My 94 (3way lumbar) had this but 95 (1 way lumbar) didn't? Racher, does yours have it?
Is it like a black vacuum hose? mine has this but I cant tell if it goes from seat to seat but I know both have it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
That's it. I pulled the carpet out in my 94 and it goes from 1 seat to the other. I put the seats in my 95 and haven't got around to correct the wiring so not sure if my lumbar works or not. Good luck gettin em goin

·
Registered
443 Posts
There is only one pump for both seats. It's located under the passenger seat but both have a seperate controller. Your problem is in the pump and or the wiring. The black hose that crosses over the tunnel is the feed for the drivers seat.

Bill

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is only one pump for both seats. It's located under the passenger seat but both have a seperate controller. Your problem is in the pump and or the wiring. The black hose that crosses over the tunnel is the feed for the drivers seat.

Bill
Thank you! Do you happen to know if it happens to be the same pump used in the roadmasters? The roadmasters are a lot easier to find than Fleetwoods in the junkyards around here.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thank you! Do you happen to know if it happens to be the same pump used in the roadmasters? The roadmasters are a lot easier to find than Fleetwoods in the junkyards around here.
Its probably a pretty good bet. The General typically only designs one and than plays around with mounting. It is a low pressure pump so even if its not a bolt in, just get the wiring right and you should be good to go.

Bill

·
Registered
495 Posts
I found this thread which should help me get to the bottom of the heated seats not working: http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=252483&highlight=seat+heat

But I still am not able to find anything about the lumbar control. Could a break in the heated seat element be causing the lumbar control not to work?
Good someone found my write up!! I've had to fix mine again in other spots, once you do it once then the next time is easier. Locate which pad has the break by using the multimeter then peel back parts of the leather to find the burn mark :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll see what I can find next time I'm at the junkyard and post what I end up doing.

Yeah it's great write up btw, is there any tips you can give me on taking the seat apart so I don't make anything worse lol?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'll see what I can find next time I'm at the junkyard and post what I end up doing.

Yeah it's great write up btw, is there any tips you can give me on taking the seat apart so I don't make anything worse lol?
The seat bottoms are just folded underneath the seat. You might need some gloves to pull one corner unfolded cuz its hard but once a little piece is unfolded the res will come easy, then just fold it back under and there's a little ledge you can feel it hooks over underneath the seat. The seat backs are tough. They latch on the bottom of the seatback where the front and back meat. Push the 2 ends together and it unlatches then you can roll or fold the leather up over the foam. Hopefully the break isn't too high if its on the seat back because its hard to roll up that leather cover.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts