Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the ACDelco heater core on Amazon. Looks like the part number stamped on the unit is not the same as on the ACDelco sticker on the box. Unit has "Made In China" stamped on the unit. Is this a fraud or is ACDelco now sourcing in China? Why would the unit not have an ACDelco brand stamp or PN?

Any recommendations for a heater core made in USA?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/222024729899

I put one of these in my 1985 impala and it did fit. I haven't run the car since, but it was VERY close in dimensions to the one I took out.

If it didn't fit for you, you'd have no problem selling it. I was tempted to buy it now as a third spare, but I'm tiring to be a better person in 2016. :)

I have a very descriptive thread regarding this model vs the part number intended for the 94 to 96 on this forum. This one is actually listed for 92 and 93 I think.

Good luck, buy it and make America Great Again!

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Sorry, I meant my 1995 impala... NOT 1985.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Heater Core

I just bought one for my 95 wagon from Rock Auto, and it was in a box with another brand on it initially, but had a AC Delco sticker over the original label. I questioned Rock Auto about it, and they assured me it met the specifications of AC Delco. I had it installed, and time will tell if it holds up or not. The biggest problem I had with it was that I paid a premium price for the name, when I could have bought the off brand for considerably less.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Name the "off" brand

Bob D would you please name the "off" brand that
met the specifications of AC Delco
Many brands have different product levels for the same part. So with your info and a little research a cheaper part with the same AC Delco specifications may be possible.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I just bought one for my 95 wagon from Rock Auto, and it was in a box with another brand on it initially, but had a AC Delco sticker over the original label. I questioned Rock Auto about it, and they assured me it met the specifications of AC Delco.
Unless they have the permission from ACDelco to re-label a part from another manufacturer, they're engaging in fraud. It doesnt matter if it "meets their specs". If its not licensed ACDelco, its not ACDelco.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clearly stated Made in China on the description

I should have paid more attention to the description. It was clearly stated this part was Made In China. Googled the part number and found The part number on the actual item 90778 matches Autozone's brand for $10 less. Also see this part number show up under Ebay for $20 less. This part number is being sold by every Tom Dick and Harry for less.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Missed it

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/222024729899

I put one of these in my 1985 impala and it did fit. I haven't run the car since, but it was VERY close in dimensions to the one I took out.

If it didn't fit for you, you'd have no problem selling it. I was tempted to buy it now as a third spare, but I'm tiring to be a better person in 2016. :)

I have a very descriptive thread regarding this model vs the part number intended for the 94 to 96 on this forum. This one is actually listed for 92 and 93 I think.

Good luck, buy it and make America Great Again!
Missed it by a day:crying::crying::crying:

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
The one I got from him does have flared ends.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1459393871.215037.jpg

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I should have paid more attention to the description. It was clearly stated this part was Made In China. Googled the part number and found The part number on the actual item 90778 matches Autozone's brand for $10 less. Also see this part number show up under Ebay for $20 less. This part number is being sold by every Tom Dick and Harry for less.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the Part Number being shared. I think it is pretty common on some parts...for example a few manufacturers use the same Part Number for Suspension Parts they sell. But he difference between a DuraLast Ball Joint and a Moog or ProForged are Night n Day.

As for the China thing, AC Delco is no different from a lot of manufacturers now. A lot of stuff is being offshored as I know I've also seen AC Delco Parts with "Made In Mexico". Heck, GM is going to be manufacturing a Car soley in China and selling it in the USA soon....how's that for an American company?

If you want Genuine and a good fit, used may be your best option. When I needed a Heater core, I purchased a used "Low Mileage" HC and it fit like a glove and is working well. Also worth mentioning, keep your old HC and see about taking it to a Radiator Shop and see if they can clean and test/repair it for you. I strongly believe that stuff made over 20 Years ago is much better quality than the new stuff today, GM or Whoever....so its worth holding onto.

EDIT - Do a search, I think there was a recent discussion on this very issue on Replacement HC's not fitting real well.

but had a AC Delco sticker over the original label. I questioned Rock Auto about it, and they assured me it met the specifications of AC Delco.

This sounds real shady to me!! I don't believe AC Delco would do this with ANY Parts. So if I had to guess, I would say this part was rebranded and sure sounds illegal. I don't care about it "meeting OEM Specifications". Insurance companies use that same line when selling aftermarket body panels and we all know they don't fit the same as originals.

REAL SHADY of Rock Auto.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
The one I got from him does have flared ends.

View attachment 137657

Damn. I got the 91-3 style. No big deal though, I have a use for it.

As for CHINA thank our president and the big GM or Chrysler BAIL OUT. Part of the plan that no one read was to outsource production oversea' Since the BAIL OUT, we all noticed the parts. GM or ACD (which is sort of a independent, reboxed company now) made in China or Taiwan all at a increased price. Go to a GM or Chrysler car lot and look at the parts content on your new "American" vehicle. If I ever buy a new ride to beat around in it will be a Toyota, its more USA.lol

Anytime I buy a ACD part I look for the vendor which has the best return policy. When I look at the part its just built poorly, overseas made. Ill find a nos or a used part. Its like CHINA is trying to make the vehicles in the US more unreliable with their garbage so they can take over.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Warning!!! You shouldn't read this post, it's too long. The short version is, never, ever buy any car parts (or anything else for that matter) that was made in China, unless you absolutely, positively have no other choice. That said, you've been warned so read on at your own peril.

As a rule, I avoid "Made in China" at all costs. I've had a unique level of access to what they do over there, and generally you're best to stay away from it. That being said, I'm not some racist, bigoted jack-ass, and this is only my opinion, but one which comes from a lot of hands on experience, as well as a a lot of "insider" info I've acquired first-hand from the people who design stuff, then have the actual building of tools and dies and etc, and the parts actually produced over there for cost savings. My father and I have personally dealt with tooling from some of the largest companies you can imagine, whether it be the Detroit 3, or major implement manufacturers, as well as scores of smaller companies. And BTW, China is actually capable of making stuff that would rival the quality of our own, but 99% of the time they choose not to. The only way to insure that it's made to "OE standards and specs" is to actually have a representative (or several) of said company onsite actively watching over and inspecting the manufacturing process. If every step of the process is monitored 24/7, they'll make quality stuff that we can barely compete with. But since that's an added expense, most companies don't bother.

I've seen examples of tooling that was well designed, should have no problem making quality parts, and yet the parts you receive over here are total garbage, (ask me about the time I had to personally write a CNC program and re-machine many tens of thousands of stamped parts that had subsequently been hardened and plated because the stamping tool had been run too fast and not properly maintained, and the terms of the contract prevented the company from returning them or refusing payment; that turned out to be a long-ass summer for me and required the consumption of nearly 50 titanium coated carbide end-mills). I could go on forever about what exactly it is that they do over there, but they cut every corner they can possibly find, whether it be the quality of the materials used, maintenance of the tools, dies and molds, the speed at which the run machinery, etc., etc. But unfortunately, yes even GM has begun outsourcing massive levels of goods to China, you can't even buy a new car that doesn't have at least some Chinese parts in them, (the absolute closest you can get to a true US made car these days, is about 75% American made components and/or assembled, and even then there's only a handful of models that actually meet that level, and surprisingly some of the models on that list are actually Japanese vehicles).

As an example, you'd also be surprised at how thin most of the brake rotors on brand new cars actually are, they're now a single use item. Once you're due for a new set of pads, (if not sooner) your rotors are already under the minimum safe thickness. Most modern designs have also eliminated "wear" indicators, so even if your rotors are still ok, you'll trash them once the pads wear out because there's no indication until it's too late. There's actually only a couple foundries left in the world that I've been able to find that still cast rotors outside of China. The chinese ones are made as thin as possible, and they don't adhere to the highly specific heating and cooling patterns needed to produce quality castings, so they tend to wear out sooner. FWIW, I've been able to find one reputable source, EBC. They operate their own foundry in Britain and make all their own stuff, at least as of a couple years ago. I've put their rotors and pads through the ringer, and they've held up far better than anything I've ever bought from either parts stores or the dealerships.

I recently went off on a rep from Rockauto because I was ticked that the ACDelco brand A/C compressor that I paid extra for was actually just a re-badged, cheap chinese import. So far it's been working fine, but it's only been in the car one summer and I don't have particularly high hopes. I actually saved the original compressor and at some point I'll try to track down the needed tools and parts to completely overhaul it so that if, (and more likely when), the Chinese made one in my car fails, I'll be ready with a backup. But anyways, I really don't see the problem with listing out on their website the country of origin on parts. I think it would set them apart from the competition and would potentially increase sales, especially if the consumer is interested or concerned about where the item they're buying came from.

As strange as it may seem, the best option right now seems to be either ebay, or salvage yards. That's assuming of course you're not in a hurry to replace or repair something. Keep an eye out for NOS (new old stock) items from dealerships, low mileage parts from salvage yards, and older remans. Over the last several months I've scored a bunch or really great stuff by being patient. The only thing I was in a hurry for, I ended up getting really lucky on. My water pump failed (shaft bearing completely shat itself) and after a few days of scouring ebay, I came across a guy selling an older reman'd unit. I contacted him and it turned out that his father had owned an Impala SS, and picked up a water pump and put it on the shelf as a backup. It was a reman'd unit, but he'd bought it quite a few years ago. From what I know of the auto parts world, that meant it had either been rebuilt in the US, or in Mexico. And I'd take Mexico any day over China, at least with them the rebuild parts were usually being produced here, and sent to Mexico for the actual tear-down and rebuild.

I've also managed to get my hands on an original alternator rebuilt in the US, an original ACDelco opti unit from a low-mileage Corvette (84,000 miles, pin drive and vented), an original Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt made in the US (before they moved production to Mexico, started making the belts thinner, which I can prove, and dropped the price on them) and an original low-mileage Corvette gear reduction starter (originally made in Japan, probably the only country that can actually kick our butt in terms of quality). I'm sure there's a few other items I'm forgetting, but the moral of the story is, it pays to be patient. Some of these things I got very reasonably priced (only slightly more than a new, Chinese made item), but for others I've had to fork over a fair bit more, so what your budget can handle will definitely factor in. But another reason why I really like original, good quality used parts, is that I'm free to inspect and do whatever I want with the part, off the car, before I actually have to deal with installing it.

I've probably rambled on way too long, and as far as the OP is concerned there may not be a good alternative for the heater core. I can just about guarantee no one in the US is making a replacement for our cars, and I would also bet that the quality of materials used in the china one will be sub-par (had a Chinese made radiator wreck the transmission in another car once) so at some point I wouldn't be surprised if it sprung a leak, but a salvage yard item may not be completely ideal. If you can find a low-mileage unit in good shape and not completely plugged up, I'd go that route first for a heater core, but it would likely take a while to find one, get it and inspect that is actually in good shape. Another advantage is that in some cases, I now have an original part sitting here that I can rebuild myself or have rebuilt if it's beyond my scope. I recently swapped my PS pump because the original was acting up.

The replacement steering pump was a decent unit from a salvage yard with similar mileage, and works fine except the seals seem to have failed due to sitting for so long so it leaks a little bit. But I have my original sitting here that I can send out to whoever it was that took over the Lee steering company, have them rebuild it, and then I can swap it back in at my leisure. If I had bought a "new" chinese rebuild, it probably would have already failed, plus I may have been tempted to trade in the original one towards the core charge to decrease my cost. This way, I can still end up with a pump that's as good as, if not better than the original, and will completely blow the Chinese junk out of the water.

I suppose another option would be once you track down a possibly good used heater core, or if your original isn't leaking too badly, take it to a local radiator shop if you still have one in your town. I still have one small shop owned and operated by an old-timer that I've taken a few things to over the years, mostly radiators but also a couple A/C condensers. Heater cores would be the same, just smaller in size. He can pressure test them, run a sealant through them to repair tiny pin hole leaks, braze up larger leaks or damage, re-core them sometimes depending on the particulars. And considering how long he's been doing that kind of work, his prices are usually reasonable. The only issues are his age, and the city has been trying to run him out for years because his little shop doesn't fit in with their whole re-beautification project downtown, so he won't be there forever. Take the original or potential used replacement to a shop like that if you can, that's what I'd do at least.

Anyways, that's my 2¢ (or considering how long I've rambled, more like $20), but in the end the extra time, effort and expense of tracking down parts not made in China, will ultimately be worth it in the long run, IMHO. On a side note, I was super unhappy to discover last week that a bunch of the Fel-Pro gaskets and seals for our cars, are no longer made here. A bunch of them are made in either Mexico, or China. There goes another trusted brand off my list.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Warning!!! You shouldn't read this post, it's too long.
Agreed and advice taken.

Way too much ridiculous, nonsensical political drivel injected as is.

Since when did my country stop being "great" and if you truly believe that, others aren't the problem, but you certainly may be.

Keep an extra HC on hand, completely submerse it w/ a solution which will dissolve the solids inside while being Al safe, flush it and keep it on hand. When the installed one gets clogged, again, which it inevitably will do, replace it with the spare. Repeat procedure as necessary. As long as it fits and doesn't leak, it really doesn't matter what brand or country of origin it is. Brand or COO isn't the problem. Reverse flow cooling with an iron block is and always has been the real problem.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Agreed and advice taken.

Way too much ridiculous, nonsensical political drivel injected as is.

Since when did my country stop being "great" and if you truly believe that, others aren't the problem, but you certainly may be.

Keep an extra HC on hand, completely submerse it w/ a solution which will dissolve the solids inside while being Al safe, flush it and keep it on hand. When the installed one gets clogged, again, which it inevitably will do, replace it with the spare. Repeat procedure as necessary. As long as it fits and doesn't leak, it really doesn't matter what brand or country of origin it is. Brand or COO isn't the problem. Reverse flow cooling with an iron block is and always has been the real problem.

I'll agree that our reverse flow isn't an ideal design for the life of a heater core.

BUT

Are you REALLY saying there's no difference in quality between parts manufactured in China vs US?

I recently ordered a new pan oil level sensor from Rockauto. ACDelco "OEM"...

When I received the part, it was immediately obvious that it wasn't made the same as the part in my car.

It is made from cheap injection molded plastic, with an O ring.

The original part is metal, with a (copper I think) compression washer.

This prompted an eBay search, where I found an NOS OEM part.

Here's a few pictures side by side. I don't think you need to be a mechanical engineer to see the difference.

Incidentally, I had the same situation with my heater core when I needed to replace it. Again, not being happy with the quality of the foreign parts, I found some NOS OEM replacements on eBay.

Again, as with the oil level sensors, the difference in quality was obvious.

I'm not being argumentative, I just think this needs to be said. We may have differences in politics, but I would think we could agree on parts.

If you're not sure, the one made here is on the right. :)

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1463861171.235002.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1463861192.499527.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1463861213.419541.jpg

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
...As for CHINA thank our president and the big GM or Chrysler BAIL OUT. Part of the plan that no one read was to outsource production oversea' Since the BAIL OUT, we all noticed the parts...
AC Delco has sourced parts from Mexico and China since before the bailout. I'd wager there's a high probability that are original parts on our cars that were not manufactured in the US, too.

...I recently ordered a new pan oil level sensor from Rockauto. ACDelco "OEM"...

When I received the part, it was immediately obvious that it wasn't made the same as the part in my car.

It is made from cheap injection molded plastic, with an O ring.

The original part is metal, with a (copper I think) compression washer.

This prompted an eBay search, where I found an NOS OEM part.

Here's a few pictures side by side. I don't think you need to be a mechanical engineer to see the difference...
The newer version was likely designed by a Mechanical Engineer here in the US. ;) A lot of components are moving to engineered plastics to save weight and cost, and if designed correctly, they can be as good or superior to traditional designs.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
AC Delco has sourced parts from Mexico and China since before the bailout. I'd wager there's a high probability that are original parts on our cars that were not manufactured in the US, too.

The newer version was likely designed by a Mechanical Engineer here in the US. ;) A lot of components are moving to engineered plastics to save weight and cost, and if designed correctly, they can be as good or superior to traditional designs.

So, from the two parts I have pictured, which one would you prefer to put in YOUR car?

Not being adversarial, I'm really curious.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
So, from the two parts I have pictured, which one would you prefer to put in YOUR car?
I'd have to have both in my hands. The new plastic version looks to be one piece, which would have fewer leak paths than the brass housing design. That would be an improvement in my eyes. The LQ4 from a Silverado that I have swapped into a Nova uses an all plastic oil level sensor. It's certainly robust enough.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
I'd have to have both in my hands. The new plastic version looks to be one piece, which would have fewer leak paths than the brass housing design. That would be an improvement in my eyes. The LQ4 from a Silverado that I have swapped into a Nova uses an all plastic oil level sensor. It's certainly robust enough.

Thanks.

I guess I'll put in the NOS part, and if it leaks, I've got a spare.

On the plus side, you don't have to worry about stripping the threads in your oil pan with the plastic part.

I haven't looked yet, but I wonder if the torque specs are different.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've been ordering a LOT of parts to fix up my new to me wagon.

Bought a NOS heater off eBay for $35 shipped, because of this thread.
However you just can't depend on anything being made in USA any longer.

Wound up using an el cheapo made in China UAC condenser.
Ordered an ACDelco condenser (also not US made), because the el cheapo tubes didn't line up and it fit in the rubber mounts poorly.
When it arrived the ACDelco was bent like a banana, and wasn't identical to OE one I removed anyway, so I sent it back. It also fit the OE rubber mounts poorly, but the tubes did align better.

The ACDelco accumulator/drier was made in China.
The ACDelco orifice tube was made in China
The ACDelco coolant temp sending unit was made in China
The ACDelco tranny pan I bought didn't say where it was made.

A few months back I ordered 4 balljoints for my Jeep from ACDelco. They were also made in China.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts