Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so there is either a MAJOR quality issue with heater cores these days or there is something else going on with my 96 Impala as my heater core is leaking AGAIN after just several months of last changing it. I have already checked my cooling system for electrolisys and that was negative. I have inspected inside the heater box to make sure there isn't anything that could be poking a hole in the core and now i'm lost as to why my car seems to like eating heater cores. What is THE BEST brand of heater core currently available? I have ran AC Delco's twice and Spectra once and Vista Pro once. I'm getting tired of replacing these damn things and even more tired of wasting money on anti-freeze.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I think it is just a crapshoot as to the quality. I went thru 2 failures in a couple of months then the third one has lasted 3 years so far. Fortunately, my mechanic did the job including the parts so the failures didn't cost me anything. All the cores came from CarQuest and I usually don't have any problems with their parts.
Having said that, I just replaced the VSS on the '94 T-Bird and two replacement parts in a row were bad. Again, it didn't cost me anything, but it has got to be the crappy Chinese parts.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Where are they leaking - fittings, tank, etc?

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
is the restrictor still present on your vehicle ?
flow control valve (restrictor) MUST be in place and working to protect the core form over-pressurizing.

Amazon.com: ACDelco 15-5508 GM Original Equipment Heater Water Flow Control Valve: Automotive

valve only: 10157988 coolant flow control valve 8.866 (also ACDelco 15-5423)

Amazon.com: ACDelco 15-5423 GM Original Equipment Heater Water Flow Control Valve with 5/8 in Bead: Automotive

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/10157988

1 - 7 of 7 Posts