Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have removed and replaced the heater core how did you get the bottom cover off to access the area?
I read posts about the hidden screw, etc. etc. Took the obvious rod support off from the fire wall to the lower dash support.
Took the glove box out and I got the cover completely loose but there is not enough room to pull it down and out. The front lower dash support (where the glove box was screwed on) is in the way. I could "force it" but would rather not risk breaking or cracking it.
Did you remove any screws holding the lower dash support?
Thought you may remember and give a tip.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
For those who have removed and replaced the heater core how did you get the bottom cover off to access the area?
I read posts about the hidden screw, etc. etc. Took the obvious rod support off from the fire wall to the lower dash support.
Took the glove box out and I got the cover completely loose but there is not enough room to pull it down and out. The front lower dash support (where the glove box was screwed on) is in the way. I could "force it" but would rather not risk breaking or cracking it.
Did you remove any screws holding the lower dash support?
Thought you may remember and give a tip.

Thanks
I just recently did this and I just carefully pulled out on the lower dash area which gave enough room to get it out. Have you removed the rubber drip boot from the firewall side yet?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's loose

Yea, it's all loose but that front dash support is keeping it from coming out. I see in the manual there are some screws I may remove to loosen that support more.
Or maybe I'll give it a pull and see if I can make enough room.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
I have never had anything in the dash area get in the way of removing the tray. The only issue I had was getting the area near the outlet tube past the bottom of the evap core. If you did not remove the 90 degree hose on the outside, you will not be able to get it out either. Usually the tray tilts down and pulls out.

If you break it, there are a couple of different styles. Only one matching yours will fit. For example, from personal experience, the 93 RMW tray will not fit a 92 OCC. I do not know any other particulars, so you should at least be aware that all of the trays are not the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts