Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if the control valve on the heater hose is really necessary cause I replaced it and now it is going bad again, leaks some drop of coolant.

Car is a 1993 Caprice 5.7 TBI.

·
Registered
346 Posts
it slows down the flow if coolant before it gets to heatercore. they are only a 2 bucks at autozone.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
You will kill a heater core in short order without using that restrictor on the hose.

I have a few of them on hand at all times in my glove box, with that "T" juction piece. These parts tend to crack with age and can leave you stranded in East Bumblefork at 3am.

I wonder if someone could (or has ever thought) about making these pieces using a more durable material that could last a long time and not crack and fail.

I gueSS most folks just opt the attitude I did, they are cheap to replace so just stock up on the GM parts. Would be nice to have a high quality metal part be made available for that restrictor and tee junction.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I keep several pieces shown in the pictures as well some teflon tape, a few hose clamps and a piece of heater hose in the trunk all the time. If I do get stranded, I am sure I can make it home.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I keep several pieces shown in the pictures as well some teflon tape, a few hose clamps and a piece of heater hose in the trunk all the time. If I do get stranded, I am sure I can make it home.
Sorry, I meant heater hose restrictor, I actually found a pic online, this is the one that cracked on me originally and I replaced it and it seems to leak again, is this necessary:

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
That thing broke on my 160k Fleetwood 1 1/2 years ago - I just put a splice in.

If you're lucky the new leak might just call for a better clamp.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That thing broke on my 160k Fleetwood 1 1/2 years ago - I just put a splice in.

If you're lucky the new leak might just call for a better clamp.
Actually the leak is around the entrance of the restrictor, seems like a factory defect. So it is not really necessary?

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
I read after my repair that unrestricted pressure will burst the heater core as CRSS- states above. Since I've gone and talked about it now it'll definitely crap out this weekend I figure.cwm4

A few months back I found a box with this part and many other engine PM wear items for both cars that I had ordered years ago. The mind can be a terrible waste sometimes.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Sorry, I meant heater hose restrictor, I actually found a pic online, this is the one that cracked on me originally and I replaced it and it seems to leak again, is this necessary:

Is that this? I hope that all I need...

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts