Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 SS Impala passenger set damp. Heater works fine but I have a slight anti-freeze smell. Could this be a heater core leak? Easy fix or not?

95 Chevy Impala "Stacy"

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
If you have antifreeze smell, it is probably the heater core. It is not too difficult to fix, but a bit time consuming, and you need a "tool" to get the drip tray off. The procedure has been posted a number of times, and the "tool" is a combination of the right socket/wrench/extension. The screws have a 7mm head, and you will probably need some silicone to make a new gasket when reassembling (any type will work).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just noticed I have constant drip of antifreeze from my AC drip. Will heater core Bypass do the job for now?

95 Chevy Impala "Stacy"

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Yep,but either blow remaining coolant out the heater core ports. Or,suck out with a shop vac to reduce future mess when actually performing the heater core R&R...Once the core stops seeing pressure the leaking will likely stop as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the heater core has been replaced. No leaking when I turn on heat but I have leaking when AC is turned on. I'm thinking I didn't line up drip tray good enough. What else could it be?

95 Chevy Impala "Stacy"

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'll be doing the heater core on mine this Winter. Having been a Florida car, then Wisconsin, I doubt it had ever been on prior to me driving north of the border.

I'm hoping its an easy fix....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be doing the heater core on mine this Winter. Having been a Florida car, then Wisconsin, I doubt it had ever been on prior to me driving north of the border.

I'm hoping its an easy fix....

Definitely not an easy fix. Getting to all of the screws to disconnect the drip tray was difficult. You will need an 7/32 wrench. Good luck. Took me and a buddy 6 hours c

95 Chevy Impala "Stacy"

·
Registered
177 Posts
Here's a post that got me through this.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=227381

It wasn't that hard just time consuming. Before I put the drip tray/cover back on I ran a piece of heater hose through the ac drain hole to extend it past the frame and away from the abs stuff. The nipple on the tray fits perfectly in the heater hose. Mine was missing the 90* elbow that's supposed to be in there. The hardest part for me was getting the hose clamps back on the heater hoses in the engine bay. I hate the OEM hose clamps. I should have taken the opportunity to change them to the screw type.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've been working on a 1990 Thunderbird Super Coupe for the last 10 years. If you look in the dictionary next to ignorant there's a picture of the Ford engineer that came up with that beauty. Most projects require you crawl up the GD muffler to get up to what you need to work on.

Why can't it just be:

-open glove box and remove 2 7/16 bolts, glove box come's off.

-Behold! The heater core

-remove the two hose clamps and another 2 7/16 bolts.

-install new core, tighten clamps, install glove box, drink beer.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I've been working on a 1990 Thunderbird Super Coupe for the last 10 years. If you look in the dictionary next to ignorant there's a picture of the Ford engineer that came up with that beauty. Most projects require you crawl up the GD muffler to get up to what you need to work on.

Why can't it just be:

-open glove box and remove 2 7/16 bolts, glove box come's off.

-Behold! The heater core

-remove the two hose clamps and another 2 7/16 bolts.

-install new core, tighten clamps, install glove box, drink beer.

you are right about the T-Birds. I have a '94 4.6 and just clearing the A/C drain is a major bitch. The Caprice is easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts