Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a link on how to change out a heater core for a 96 impala. Really I just need a good starting point of where to start. Do I begin with removing the dashboard ?

·
Super Moderator
5,806 Posts
No. The procedure is in the FSM. It's pretty easy, though. Going from memory...Remove passenger seat (gives you more space to lie upside down), drop hush panel, take out three 7.5(IIRC)mm screws (the one up on the floorboard/firewall needs a flex adapter), drop the fan, go under the hood and disconnect the heater hoses, back inside pull the core, replace, put everything back. Fill coolant, bleed. It's listed as four hours labour, I did my first one in half that, so you'll be fine.

Others will add the steps I'm missing...

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
One step, when you take the heater hoses off, run fresh water through the heater core.
IF you have an air blower or shop vac, try and get as much water out of the core as you can.

This way, the inevitable water you get on the carpet during removal will be a min and not anti freeze

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you're working without a shop manual, I just checked Ebay. The paper service manuals aren't cheap, but the CD version isn't expensive and the Haynes ones are even less. Just saw a used one for $12 including postage.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
You do not have to remove the fan. Remove the elbow on the drain, drop the drip tray, disconnect the heater lines, and unbolt the core. There is a hidden bolt along the firewall for the drip tray. Be careful, the drip tray has a tendency to catch the plenum when removing it, and if you crack the tray, you will always have a wet floor. The tray bolts should use a 7mm socket. I forget what the size of the bolts that hold the heater core.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
To disconnect clamps on the heater core in the engine bay, you need to literally lay on the engine to reach for them. Just step on the bumper, place yourself on the home plate and it should work.

As Fred Kiehl said, there are only two plastic pieces to remove inside the car - the sound insulater held with three screws and the black pan under the heater core held by, I believe, SEVEN screws with 7/32 heads. One in the corner is especially PITA to remove, use extensions, get creative. I did not remove the seat, just movedd it all the way back and down, laid on my back on the cars floor to do the job. When you remove the pan (just pry it off) you will see the heater core held with two brackets. Those brackets should be removed to get the core out.

Why do you replace the heater core? Leaking or clogged? What brand is your replacement? If it is Spectra, the heater hoses will be loose and you have to use extra clamps to properly secure them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts