Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car was running funny...my passenger side floor was soaking wet when there was no rain or water anywhere near my car...im assuming heater core?? About how much should this cost to replace its too cold and im too busy to try and do anything myself..

·
Registered
986 Posts
Is the pass floor with coolant or water?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
at first i thought it was water but it may have been coolant...also at the time when i was actually driving the car there was a coolant smell blowing through the vents whenever i would turn the ac/heat on ....i just made a few calls and was quoted 325 and 400 so its not too bad.

·
Registered
986 Posts
If you smell coolant than it's the heater core and not just the condensate drain backing up.
$300-400 is 3 -4 times what it would cost to buy a heater core and do it yourself.
It's a nuisance but not rocket science, (its easier than changing the spark plugs on these cars.)
DO NOT buy a NAPA heater core. They're junk and NAPA's "lifetime warranty" is a f'n fraud.
I got a lifetime warranty heater core from Murreys/O'Reilly's, no probs so far (goin' on 3 years now).
It'll take the better part of an afternoon if it's your 1st time. I can do it in about 45 mins now, but I have mucho experience from changing out leaker NAPA heater cores.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I did mine two weeks ago and it was easy. Cost $65 in parts at Autozone and now I have hot hot heat.

Do yourself the favor and flush the whole system (or have the shop do it) to make sure all the junk gets cleaned out. The old theory is that while it's possible the heater core "just went bad", the usual reason is that something caused it to leak, possibly chemical reactions in the fluid or years of build-up that has caused an issue. Flushing it will hopefully fix the 'reason', if one exists.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Car was running funny...my passenger side floor was soaking wet when there was no rain or water anywhere near my car...im assuming heater core?? About how much should this cost to replace its too cold and im too busy to try and do anything myself..
Hey Chris, I saw your other post down in the HVAC section. If you are still running without your steam tubes, thats why you keep having cooling system problems. After you get a new heater core, try to get the steam tubes on, to avoid future issues like this, or worse. I know what a pain it can be putting them on with the engine in the car, esp. where that shop plugged your steam holes, but if you keep running without the steam tubes, the heads may end up having to come off anyways, AGAIN. cwm6 Since we determined that the heads were put back on the opposite sides, the steel plugs that block the holes that are now in the back should be removable with an allen wrench.

·
Registered
731 Posts
^I was editing that post and the stupid server died on me, and now i cant edit. What i was gonna put was, i looked at my original 95 lt1 just awhile ago, and it has plugs in the front of the heads that are removable with a 1/4" drive rachet without a socket on it. Take one of those rachets (they are usualy small), and see if the rachet will connect to the plugs like a socket. With determination, they should come out if the rachet fits.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took it to the shop and the problem they said was....for one its missing terribly so a tune up is a must (that i already knew) ..i need a new radiator (the old one is clogged and nothing is getting through) ...they said they showed no signs of the heater core (they didnt get any readings for that and the car still blows heat) so with that plus the injectors need to be cleaned or something... they talking about 795.00

@DiGGM95 I also mentioned to them about the steam pipe issue and they said they are going to take a look at it....but if the heads are on the opposite side doesnt that mean im going to have to install the steam pipe backwards as well...how would that work out

·
Registered
731 Posts
The steam pipe will go on where it belongs, no matter which way the heads are put on. The heads are IDENTICAL, anything that bolts to them will go back on the side they came off of, no matter which way the heads are put on. There are provisions for the steam pipe on the front and back of each head, just like there are provisions for the temp. sensor in each head. Imho, it would be wacky and downright impossible to try to put the steam pipe on the front, as there is no room for it up there.

·
Registered
849 Posts
$795?! I would buy the parts and do it myself. But if you have the money and no tools.. I guess paying someone 80+ an hour for labor costs is your route... best of luck.

also, try flushing the radiator with a garden hose forward and back plenty of times and see if everything comes out. I would use some radiator flush or something if it would help as well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$795?! I would buy the parts and do it myself. But if you have the money and no tools.. I guess paying someone 80+ an hour for labor costs is your route... best of luck.

also, try flushing the radiator with a garden hose forward and back plenty of times and see if everything comes out. I would use some radiator flush or something if it would help as well.
Yeah i was going to do that bc i normally do my own work but between my traveling schedule and the weather it will not work out for me...yeah i tried that several times with the radiator it...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
heck no its too cold and im a athlete so my schedule is crazy....but i let the shop do it... tune up, radiator, water pump shaft, some electrical work(dude who did my swap messed up more than he fixed and end up costing me more money) tranny leak and bad dipstick, heater core, injectors cleaned, new temp gauge sensor, thermostat and lil minor things here and there...i could have did all that myself but like i said no time plus the garage is being used and i refuse to work in 20 and 30 degree weather...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts