Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing the heater hose in my 96 Impala today. The way the hose clamps at the heater core were clocked to approx. 4:00 made it impossible to get any sort of tool on them (including the fancy remote cable gizmo) to get them off. I finally had to dremel them off to get the hoses off. Anyone else experience this? Was there a less drastic solution? I'm going to use screw clamps clocked more accessibly when I put it back together tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I too had to Dremel some OE heater hose clamps.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
I used the 16" long reach pliers from Harbor Freight: 16" Long Reach Pliers Set

At the time, my wagon was 16 years old with 100% GM factory installed cooling system hardware: hoses, clamps, heater core, etc. No problem using the Harbor Freight pliers to squeeze the factory spring clamps and slide them clear of the fitting.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I'm changing the heater hose in my 96 Impala today. The way the hose clamps at the heater core were clocked to approx. 4:00 made it impossible to get any sort of tool on them (including the fancy remote cable gizmo) to get them off. I finally had to dremel them off to get the hoses off. Anyone else experience this? Was there a less drastic solution? I'm going to use screw clamps clocked more accessibly when I put it back together tomorrow.
Sometimes it's just about getting a little extra room in there to work and maneuver your hands/tools. Those stock clamps aren't fun, but it may have helped if you removed the 3 bolts to the wiper motor so you could finagle that around a little and get some extra space there.

The worm gear clamps will make your life much easier to install or the next time they need removed. Try to clock the clamp screw so that you can get a 1/4" rachet/extension in there and believe most of the clamp screws are 5/16" head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts