Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i only use my 94 wagon in nice weather and want to clean up engine bay. i was going to delete the heater hoses and not sure if i can get ride of them since the expansion tank is needed. do i have to just run the 2 hoses to the tee at the expansion tank or can i get rid of the tee and just run 1 hose from the water pump to the expansion tank. thx for any help

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
You can,but you will find the reduction in cooling system capacity less than helpful in engine temperature level/stability.

·
Registered
10,987 Posts
You can do that, but if it is nice, but cold outside, you will wish you had not. The other side of that is; the AC will be more efficient if you remove them.

·
Registered
567 Posts
You could run the lines directly to and from the reservoir.

Ron Davis makes radiators for these cars. Wish I knew that before I bought my autozone replacement.. They probably make the best radiators, period.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Maybe your description is just off or I'm misreading what you wrote, but you cannot just run one hose to the expansion tank. The way the pump works, it circulates engine coolant out to the heater core and back again. It pushes the coolant out and sucks it back in (sorta). The "T" is a tap that allows the pump to pull in and equalize the fluid level from the reservoir based on pressures and such. Not sure how you are getting a loop for the water pump with just one hose. In addition, if you do not allow the fluid to move through the water pump as designed, it may cavitate and cause other issues (like a hot spot), but that's just me always worrying about what was in the head of the original design engineer.

So maybe I'm just not catching your actual plan. Looping the hoses from / to the pump with the "T" in the loop is a minimum. Good luck.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Maybe your description is just off or I'm misreading what you wrote, but you cannot just run one hose to the expansion tank. The way the pump works, it circulates engine coolant out to the heater core and back again. It pushes the coolant out and sucks it back in (sorta). The "T" is a tap that allows the pump to pull in and equalize the fluid level from the reservoir based on pressures and such. Not sure how you are getting a loop for the water pump with just one hose. In addition, if you do not allow the fluid to move through the water pump as designed, it may cavitate and cause other issues (like a hot spot), but that's just me always worrying about what was in the head of the original design engineer.

So maybe I'm just not catching your actual plan. Looping the hoses from / to the pump with the "T" in the loop is a minimum. Good luck.
I guess what I was trying to say was you could just cut off the hoses running to the heater core and connect them together. More precisely, get rid of the restrictor and then get two 90s to get the fluid turned around in the space you have between the manifold and wheel well. Leave the Tee in place.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
No need to loop hoses. Coolant circulates through the motor/radiator regardless of presence of heater hoses. As long as the hose from the reservoir to pump is intact,the cooling system functions as before. Just with less capacity...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts