Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow SS owners.
I have a 1996 Impala DGGM
I have had this car for over 2 years now, I started noticing the temp gauge began to rise, eventually going all the way up. I haven't driven anywhere since,

I changed the thermostat but that wasn't the issue, fans are working properly.
When I am stopped in traffic it begins to rise again however when I begin to drive it goes all the way back to normal range but begins to rise again.

Water pump is good, radiator is good as well..
just the other day I noticed oil leaks on the floor,

Can cooling lines cause this?
Cooling line coming from driver side lower radiator has a leak.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
They are two separate issues. The engine oil cooler lines are well known for leaking at the crimp.

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
That is the oil cooler line where it enters the radiator.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Hello fellow SS owners.
I have had this car for over 2 years now, I started noticing the temp gauge began to rise, eventually going all the way up. I haven't driven anywhere since.

When I am stopped in traffic it begins to rise again however when I begin to drive it goes all the way back to normal range but begins to rise again.
Click on this YouTube Video, then skip ahead to 6 minutes in. Seem familiar?
Your fans are working properly 'according to GM' who programmed the fans not to turn on before 225°F & 232°F.
Turning the fans on by 203°F & 212°F is much safer for the engine and transmission, nevermind all the plastic and rubber parts underhood known for brittling and cracking with age.
I suggest having your pcm reprogrammed [by pcmperformance.com], but there are other ways to have the fans turn on at more reasonable temps.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Hello fellow SS owners.
I have had this car for over 2 years now, I started noticing the temp gauge began to rise, eventually going all the way up. I haven't driven anywhere since,

Water pump is good, radiator is good as well..
just the other day I noticed oil leaks on the floor,

Can cooling lines cause this?
Cooling line coming from driver side lower radiator has a leak.
Exactly what you may see if the coolant system has air in it. You replaced the Tstat, did you bleed the system properly? If not or you're not sure, just do a search and you should find info on how to do that.

X2 on the cooler lines....lots of info on solutions here too. Although your pic looks more like the rad fitting or a problem with the hose in the fitting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts