Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need new rotors for my ss and dont know if I should get thethe direction vaned rotors? Is there a difference between them? Will they fit my ss? Are they an improvement over stock rotors?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The rotors you're asking about are listed in the "Braking" section of the [email protected]$$ links in my sig.

The AutoSpecialty rotors have thicker friction surfaces for longer wear and better fade resistance. They are also directionally vaned for improved cooling recovery - this means there's a left and a right rotor, by the way; don't forget to casually mention this to your installer. They should fit with no problems, and are cheaper than stock.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who sells the AutoSpecialty slotted rotors? Looks like Summit only has the rear rotors listed for the SS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try these part numbers: PWR-AR-9501SL and PWR-AR-9502SR.

These rotors have the shorter studs for steel wheels so you'll have to replace them with longer studs.

Summit has them in stock for $111.99 each according to their site.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Supposedly Autospecialty fixed the stud "problem", so try comparing stud length on the new and old rotor before you assume they need to be changed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Navy Lifer:
Supposedly Autospecialty fixed the stud "problem", so try comparing stud length on the new and old rotor before you assume they need to be changed.
The set I just bought has the short studs. Can I just run down to Pep Boys and buy new studs for it? I have never done this before, and my mechanical skills leave much to be desired.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, as long as the studs are the same knurl and thread it is pretty easy to change them out....especially with the rotors off the car.

To knock them out, simply put the rotor with the back side down on a solid surface and hit them with a hammer. Shouldn't take more than 2 minutes to remove all 10

To install new ones, you wanna get them started by putting them in from the backside and then use a spare lugnut or GOOD nut (it is M12x1.5 thread) with some washers to "tighten down" and draw the stud into the knurled part on the rotor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You want a box of 10 Dorman P/N 610-254 wheel studs. The old ones fell right out of the Autospecialty rotors after I beat them out with a hammer, but I had to grind a small flat on the heads to get the longer new studs past the ABS ring on the hub. I used a punch and a hammer to seat the new studs but Ed's way is probably better - I don't think it is a good idea to pound on a hardened stud with anything but a brass drift.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.