Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
Sorry, but you'll have to cease posting until scanning and posting your registration after purchasing one. Oh wait a minute, you posted in the appropriate New Member Intro section (rare and very mindful) and further respected the guidelines by not asking questions (a literal unicorn new member).

So, free pass. Welcome! Seriously, always great getting someone who's gotten an interest in these 25-year old tubs. For these cars it's best to wait patiently for one in above ave. condition, relatively unmolested engine, without the strain of life with excessively big wheels or bagged, nor evidence of wacked n hacked in electronics. And buy the car not the price, so to speak.

BTW I often go by Grumpy'Murakan. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,497 Posts
96 Black, always a man of few words.

GrumpyCanuck - welcome! Buy the best car you can afford. Pay for good maintenance and less rust. Body and interior pieces are very expensive to replace; Seat leather is $1000, lower dash $400, driver's door panel $500 if you can find one. If it hasn't had a transmission yet, it'll need one soon. Other mechanicals are pretty cheap and easy. Feel free to post up what you're looking at if you want buyer's advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As of right now I only see one within a days drive from me. There seem to be a "line" where prices jump from 8k to 15k(CAD), which corresponds to wanting to keep it original or tastefully modifications.
96Black, we can join forces and make a Grumpy army to rule North America.
*edit. What is the proper forum to get advice on a car I have found?

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
Well, there is --> NO <-- better forum for Tri-9 B-/D- bodies than here! If you mean which particular section then "When in doubt it's Misk!" Miscellaneous is ok, but if you can narrow it down at all to a specific area then better - Ext., Int., Susp., Drivetrain.....

Be sure to read up on the stickies in Problems/Maint. to forearm yourself for the hunt.

·
Premium Member
5,136 Posts
Welcome, I doubt even cdn 15K is going to get you a good car up here.

As said above, the smallest trim, body issues cost thousands to remedy.

The "good deal , just needs" car usually ends up costing more in the long run.

Plus our weather doesnt help , going from not great 12 month cars out west to total junk in the east.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know about Saskatchewan but there's been some absolute deals in the Ontario region. I picked up my 94 for $12k CAD with 63k kms and it was single owner not winter driven at all.

I still search the listings everyday and have seen good deals come up, generally you find more listings nearing the winter time as people don't want to drive it and end up selling it.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I don't know about Saskatchewan but there's been some absolute deals in the Ontario region
Every car should be judged on it's own merits but you will find most western Canadians are very distrustful of Ontario and east cars. Things are changing but eastern cars that are driven year around have a lot more rust than a equivalent western car. Grumpycanuk is in the best area to find a rust free car. In the past Saskatchewan residents have been known for keeping cars longer than other provinces. I picked up my only rust free car ever from Saskatchewan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Every car should be judged on it's own merits but you will find most western Canadians are very distrustful of Ontario and east cars. Things are changing but eastern cars that are driven year around have a lot more rust than a equivalent western car. Grumpycanuk is in the best area to find a rust free car. In the past Saskatchewan residents have been known for keeping cars longer than other provinces. I picked up my only rust free car ever from Saskatchewan.
Definitely. Well one thing about 25 year old cars is, if they haven't been maintained they are most likely scrapped by now. So the one's on the market have been maintained to a certain degree, just need to find the one's that haven't been driven in winter. Which I initially thought was rare but to be honest most people don't like driving it in the winter due to RWD.

·
Premium Member
5,136 Posts
Every car should be judged on it's own merits but you will find most western Canadians are very distrustful of Ontario and east cars.
Guilty as charged.
Possibly, in part, brought on by
involved with motor vehical testing and having the tell people trying to bring their out of province cars in that that it was going to cost more than the cars were worth to make them comply.

I made the mistake of buying " the car from Hull"

TOONWARRIOR , great you got a rust free car.
Let's see some underbody pics of that beauty

1 - 11 of 11 Posts