Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The A/C compressor on my '92 Caprice Classic is rattling like there's something loose inside. :eek: The air still blows cold but I am afraid that it will soon die. Any ideas on what I should do? How much should I prepare to pay to have it serviced/replaced?

Thanks,
Chris

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I just got some bad news today. The compressor is bad and will soon die. The fan clutch is bad and the evaporator will need to be replaced not to mention the R-134a conversion. The estimate comes to $1375 :eek:. A new compressor will cost almost $500 which is the single largest item to replace. I am now accepting donations, he-he.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the compressor on my Buick Century two years ago, also converted it to R-134 at the same time. Didn't cost that much by far (maybe $300)

I got a remanufactured compressor from Autozone for about $150. The compressor on a caprice is a different model but I can't imagine them being much more expensive since they're so widely used.

To convert to R-134 I replaced the compressor, accumulator (the can-like thing) and service valves (screw-on adapters) then had a shop change the evaporator tube, and flush and recharge the system. Shop bill was like $120, and that car was COLD, colder than many new cars.

That price quote sounds like something a dealer would give you, I'd definately get it looked at by an independant mechanic.
I'd go to a salvage yard for the fan clutch, or put in an electric fan (which will probably make your A/C colder at idle than the mechanical fan)
Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts