Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went to start my car this morning and it just felt hella weird so i took the wifes car. Came home from work to get to the bottom of things pulled the fan and belt to find what looks to be a broken crankshaft pulley or something, anyone know how hard it is to get my baby back to life? I took photos in hopes yall can point me in the right direction. Im pretty novice but i can definitely take something off and replace it correctly but if this is more sinister than that i need to take it in so im just trying to get a feel if this is manageable for me or not

Attachments

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
You need a new balancer. Not unusual for a car half as old as yours. Super easy to change.

Remove all of the bolts inside the pulley, remove the pulley, and remove the balancer. The balancer will be a bit of a struggle, as the rust on the hub will prevent it from easily sliding off. PB Blaster might help. Replace balancer, reinstall pulley and bolts, and you're done.

NOTE: The 3 bolts that hold the balancer are not spaced evenly, so you'll need to make sure all 3 holes line up before bolting it in place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will i need a puller and installer?

You need a new balancer. Not unusual for a car half as old as yours. Super easy to change.

Remove all of the bolts inside the pulley, remove the pulley, and remove the balancer. The balancer will be a bit of a struggle, as the rust on the hub will prevent it from easily sliding off. PB Blaster might help. Replace balancer, reinstall pulley and bolts, and you're done.

NOTE: The 3 bolts that hold the balancer are not spaced evenly, so you'll need to make sure all 3 holes line up before bolting it in place.

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
No the balancer is bolted to the crank hub. If it is not rusted in place you will be able to remove it by hand.
Yeah if memory serves me correctly, I think that it requires a 17MM socket to remove the three flange headed bolts.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
No the balancer is bolted to the crank hub. If it is not rusted in place you will be able to remove it by hand.
Yep, as Ken mentioned, the balancer should just come off the Hub once the bolts are removed. Some motors are Crustier than others so if you run into a problem, try cleaning the Hub Snout where it comes thru the Balancer with some sandpaper to knock the crud off. Also, you should be able to spin the balancer on the hub by hand but sometimes they stick if trying to slide it off the hub snout.

Worst case, look at our Member here "Goldmaster" series of videos and this 1 at about the 2:40 mark shows him using a puller if yours is stubborn could work easily. No need to mark the balancer to hub position as the 3 bolts will only line up to the hub 1 way but take note of the little pointer on the Balancer if it concerns you.

Do not mess with Pulling the hub as this is much more involved and not needed to replace =just the balancer. Also, you should ba able to leave the Waterpump connected if just replacing the balancer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had to use a puller on mine. If you look at the harmonic balancer you will notice there are two pieces of metal with rubber inbetween. This rubber likely failed in yours and is why it is the way it is. I had this fail on mine so the actual pully with belts on it didn't move and the under neath part did move. Mine happened when I was at home and I never actually drove it in this condition. I was able to locate a new balancer and took a couple hours to install only because I removed a bunch of stuff to insure I didn't break anything else when trying to remove it. (Took out the fans and put a board behind the radiator... Knowing how my hands slip... ;) )

Rodney

·
Registered
354 Posts
What are you guys recommending for replacement balancers these days?
I'm just putting together a motor and had to decide whether I wanted to go with a new one or re-use the old one.

After seeing this I think I'll go with new. :surprise:

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
What are you guys recommending for replacement balancers these days?
I'm just putting together a motor and had to decide whether I wanted to go with a new one or re-use the old one.

After seeing this I think I'll go with new. :surprise:
Yeah no decision at all regarding this. I haven't had to buy a new one since 2004, and got that one from Dal

At this point, I would think that Summit, Jegs, or Amazon would be the best choice.
It looks like RockAuto even has some inexpensive units as well.

I'd keep watching the thread, and let others chime in on what they would recommend,.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts