Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I replaced the control/restirctor valve on the heater hose bc mine was cracked and leaking. When I installed the new one I cant get one end in all the way...Is it suppose to go all the way in? I got the side all the way in closest to fire wall(held in with clamp). However the side that doesnt have a clamp (jst a metal piece on end of hose I cant get it ina ll the way, it still has about 1/2-3/4 of an inch left...Its in there snug but I dont want it to pop off... Here is the piece I replaced

And here is a pic of about how much is left to go in...I cleaned out all the stuff left from the old piece...Anyhelp would be great! Thx

Attachments

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cut the metal piece OFF
K thx I was thinking about doing that but didnt want to mess anything up....Seems like its going to be a tight fit as far as hose length goes...thanks again

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
In a previous thread about this someone mentioned crushing it in a vise, that helped get the plastic inside broken up, then once you get the plastic remnants out the sleeve should come off without shortening the hose.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Just out of curiousity, what does that restrictor actually do? Mine broke while on the road, I replaced the entire heater hose and when on my merry way (eventually).

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
In a previous thread about this someone mentioned crushing it in a vise, that helped get the plastic inside broken up, then once you get the plastic remnants out the sleeve should come off without shortening the hose.
That was me. The plastic on my piece wasn't brittle enough to break into pieces, so I had to rip it out a little at a time with needle nose pliers.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just out of curiousity, what does that restrictor actually do? Mine broke while on the road, I replaced the entire heater hose and when on my merry way (eventually).
From what I understand it slows down coolant... Its in there really tight, I can't even pull it back off... Guess Ill leave it the way it is, hasn't leaked or anything yet...

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what does that restrictor actually do?
The restrictor protects the heatercore from the enhanced high RpM flow and pressure of the LT1's cam-driven water pump.

It was cheaper than redesigning the heatercore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts