Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it’s been two years now since I’ve driven my car due to various reasons; the economy being one, and before I start wrenching, as I’m starting to get the bug again and having dreams about driving her, I have some issues I need to tend to before cranking her over.

A little history: Back in 2007, I purchased a CM built 383 and from a forum member and the motor runs great. I installed some 16mm spacers to the accessory bracket and purchased a Corvette ATI Super Damper but for some reason, they’re not lining up and I’m shredding belts. Lastly, when I stopped driving her two years ago, I just parked her and didn’t do anything special and just threw on a car cover as I thought I’d be driving here soon.

I need advice to the following so I can hopefully drive my car once again.

1) I installed the damper with and without the spacers provided by ATI but I’m still having issues. I was thinking on yanking the spacers and just installing the stock snout/hub, but first I want to see if I’m missing something here. From what I remember, the 383 came from either a 94 or 95 and I have a 96. If I got 16mm spacers and a Corvette damper which I believe is also 16mm longer than stock, what am I missing. Do the 94/95 years have a shorter/longer crank stubout or is the ATI damper not seating all the way in?

2) What do I need to do before cranking here over again so I don’t damage anything?

I appreciate all your help in this matter and so will she.

Jose

· Premium Member
1,359 Posts
The Y-body Corvette hub, the B-body hub, and the F-body hubs too) are all different. You can buy just the correct hub from ATI, swap it with your Y-body hub, and that will solve your problem. You can order it directly from ATI. You will have to remove your spacers behind the accessory bracket though.

BTW - The 94/95 and 96 B-body application is the same hub from ATI. When you use this hub with a 94/95 B-body, you need to use the supplied shim/washer between the hub and the crank to make up the differnce in thickness because you do not have the crank position sensor. On a 96 B-body with the crank position sensor, you just leave the washer off.

EDIT: After re-reading your original post, you may just be able to use the shim/washer from ATI behind the hub you have. If you are sure that the 16mm spacers that you used is "the right number", than tha ATI washer should make up the difference due to not having the crank position sensor on the 94/95. Call ATI direct and ask for Damper Tech support. i am sure that they would sell you just the washer.

· Registered
6,540 Posts
IIRC on the 96 ATI (the hub for b-body) you use the washer on the front side of balancer....94-95 on back side.

motor not started in 2yrs...might want to pull plugs and squirt some oil in cyl then crank over with coil wire off until oil pressure is up. Might have issues with bad fuel after 2 yrs....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.