Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just broke a wheel sensor. I was extremely careful with it and was going no where. I tried all angles to get the sensor out (yes the bolt is removed) and I just had to give it some more force so I ended up cracking the plastic housing. Even after I broke it, I beat the living daylights out of it and I still couldn't hardly get it out and finally after I beat it to dust it was removed from the spindle.

So, I haven't done the other side yet, and I am afraid to see how much one of these puppies is going to cost. I am sure it can't be cheap sincel none of the local part stores have it. SO that means either junkyard or dealer, which it will probably be the dealer since I will probably destroy the junk yard ones too.

What is the trick to remove the sensor? ANYONE? THis sucks.

Brian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Repeat after me :

"I WILL goto Dal (or Sam, or similar) for my GM parts, and quit going to my local dealer because I KNOW I'll get screwed at the dealer"

The "trick" is to coat the sensor with anti-sieze when you install it (coat ONLY the parts that contact the spindle though!) so it doesn't "Freeze" into the spindle in the first place.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ditto Ed's comments....

I think what happens, especially in parts of the country that are wet and where chemical use is prevalent, where it gets a bit of help, is that the wear products in brake dust, much of it being ferrous, gets drawn in around the sensor by the powerful magnet inside. Combined with the moisture that is inevitable, any clearance that existed gets filled with rust, for want of a better description. End result, the sensor won't come out except through destruction of the part.

Poor design? Well, maybe....regular maintenance is the watchword for this. Similar situation as found with the rear caliper bracket slide pins.

Sensor/lead P/N's are:

LH all years 1646011

RH 91-93 1646012

RH 94-96 10232162

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same on the Ford line too. At best the removal of said sensor is 50/50. If you live in the East it's worse given corosion. If you were the manufacture, would you care if the customer could remove it and re use it??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
Repeat after me :

"I WILL goto Dal (or Sam, or similar) for my GM parts, and quit going to my local dealer because I KNOW I'll get screwed at the dealer"

The "trick" is to coat the sensor with anti-sieze when you install it (coat ONLY the parts that contact the spindle though!) so it doesn't "Freeze" into the spindle in the first place.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some trick...First off, thanks for the replies!

Don't worry, I do buy from Dal. Ever since I found about him I have only ordered OEM from him. It would be nice if he's in the same town so I don't have to wait for it, because I am using someone else's garage to change the front end, so that means time.

I will put antiseize on it going in this time. I can't see any evidence of chevy doing it. If it was there, the stuff they used sucked.

Bill, thanks for the part no.s I was trying to find it on the internet, since I don't have a parts book. I just hope the cost doesn't eat my pocket book. I will found out soon enough. Speaking of destroying the parts, I ended up destroying the other one. It was educational at least. I saw how they were put together with a little magnet with a coil of wires and something else, that kind of looked like lead under the plastic, kind of grayish.

Todd, I wish i was in the 50/50 category but nope. I get to buy two of them.
:mad: :mad:

Well, I am glad it wasn't totally my fault, I feel a little better now.

By the way, what will happen if I go ahead and run the car for a few days until I get new ones without the sensors? I assume it will be okay since its only abs.

thanks again everyone...

Brian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>By the way, what will happen if I go ahead and run the car for a few days until I get new ones without the sensors? I assume it will be okay since its only abs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, your ABS won't work. I'd yank the ABS fuse to make sure it doesn't try and activate anyways.

Other than that, you'll be fine. Just drive conservatively (to lessen chances of having to make a "panic" stop) until you have the parts back.

BTW, we ran into this on Tully's car when we put the Movit brakes on it last year. It was from Minnesota, but supposedly NOT driven in winter (and hasn't seen winter conditions in the last 3 years he's had it out here in CA).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brian-
They are a b**ch to get out. If you follow the wires back about 2 feet or so there is actually a connector, so replacement will be easy.
I think the plastic sells up and actually bonds mechanically and chemically to the spindle. I swear they are made of super glue. I had trouble removing mine with a drill and a drift punch. They were in small pieces by the time I got done, and that was after hours of penetrants and persuasion.
Any way after i removed them I honed out the hole a few thousanths and used anti seize, on the new ones just in case.
When you call Dal, remember to order a blue bowtie and some grille mounting hardware. :D
Rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I broke a speed sensor too in the front
i wasnt even going to put them back in because my abs hasent worked in years and really dont care for it..my question is does not having them cause other problems?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

This is a great site for reasonably priced GM parts.

94-96 Impala SS wheel sensors:

LH all years 1646011 $33.29
RH 91-93 1646012 $33.29
RH 94-96 10232162 $34.00

Good prices, good service.

PS Are you a boilermaker?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
According to Dal.. Sam is no longer working for the gM dealership in Las Vegas.. So Its down to Dal now

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sam doesn't work for the dealer in Vegas anymore, but he can still hook you up on good pricing for AC Delco parts thru Combination Motorsports (his shop in Vegas)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does this post ever bring back bad memories. Over an hour trying to clean out the plastic embedded in the sensor hole so the new one would fit. Hope you have better luck with the install than I did.

Jeff

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by boedean:
Does this post ever bring back bad memories. Over an hour trying to clean out the plastic embedded in the sensor hole so the new one would fit. Hope you have better luck with the install than I did.

Jeff
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, and I put on different spindles
:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.