Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the process of lowering the front of my car. I started to break the lower passenger ball joint loose, but I didn't realize that I didn't have the tool centered.

I can't even get the nut off of the threads. It looks pretty bad. What do I do to fix this / take it off. What will I need to buy?

This is what it looks like:

Please help!!!

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Well you are going to need a new ball joint that is for sure, get a grinder or a sawzall in there and cut the end of the studd off with the nut on it, but you will need a new ball joint and a press to remove old and put in new, autozone rents ball joint removal insertion tools.

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks alot. I just bought the ball joint and rented the tool. Is there any tricks on how to use the tool and install it? The directions are kinda vague. Also I tried to remove the old shock but the upper nut won't come loose it just spins the shaft of the shock. Am I missing something??

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Honestly I have never used one, always had the whole control arm out and used the press in my shop. So I can't lend a hand in that matter.

As far as the shock you could try a shock tool or an impact, I always use an impact and the nut spins right off, if it is really frozen on there you could always shock stud with a socket and long extension and wiggle it back and forth.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just wondering... Do you need to unbolt ball joint for spring install?
Thought you just undid the Inner pivot bolts and the ball joint was only part holding arm in vehicle.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Just wondering... Do you need to unbolt ball joint for spring install?
Thought you just undid the Inner pivot bolts and the ball joint was only part holding arm in vehicle.
Yes you do, only the lower you you don't need to unbolt the upper, also to get the original spring out I would recommend loosening the lower control are attachment bolts so that the arm can lower all the way down.

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
Ok thanks alot. I just bought the ball joint and rented the tool. Is there any tricks on how to use the tool and install it? The directions are kinda vague. Also I tried to remove the old shock but the upper nut won't come loose it just spins the shaft of the shock. Am I missing something??

Thanks for your help!
If you've never done this job before, you would be well-advised to get some help or take it to someone who can do it with the right tools/equipment.

The front lower control arm holds the chassis spring in position and is under a significant amount of load/potential force that can do you great harm if it gets away from you--through lack of knowledge, by not following procedures or observing safety measures.

Don't learn the hard way on this one....

As far as the shock--were you planning to re-use it, or is it being replaced? If it's an original (orange) deCarbon shock, or a Bilstein, spinning the shaft may have killed it if it wasn't already done.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ive done other cars supsensions but not an B-body yet. The Haynes manual dose not mention unbolting the ball joint at all. You remove the inner arm pivot bolts and allow arm to drop that way to remove spring. Is that not correct?

If he is lowering the car new shock would be recommended.
So I would suggest some vice grips to hold shaft still long enough to break bolt loose. Also spray bolt with some break loose few minutes before hand.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Yeah I guess that you could do it that way and some have done the remove the lower control arm bolts to change the spring, but I have yet to have any luck with that method to be honest. Maybe Bill has a trick to doing this, but I have changed springs on about 6 b bodys and the last one I figured I would try that method and it was a bigger pain in the ass than I wanted to deal with, so I went back to breaking the lower ball joint loose and installing this way.

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, all done. This is the method I used: http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=235494

That was a very usefull write-up. It wasn't as bad as I had thought at first. Note to self, next time make sure the removal tool is centered on the bolt!!! If it wasn't for that little mishap the whole thing would have gone smoothly.

I was able to get the rent the ball joint removal tool from the local parts store. I got the broke one out with ease but I could seem to get the new one in. It kept trying to go in sideways. So I just removed the lower arm and took it to a local shop and paid them $20 to put it in.

Once again, this forum and everyone on it is a life saver!! By the way, I think that that write-up that I used should be a sticky.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Just as an FYI, the way that I remove the upper shock mounting nut when I'm replacing the shocks is: take a 9/16 deep well socket and the longest extension/ extensions that I can come up with(I have a 36" 3/8 extension @ work). Place the socket over the nut. push extesion towards the front of car. push towards rear of car. repeat until upper portion of shaft breaks off.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Just as an FYI, the way that I remove the upper shock mounting nut when I'm replacing the shocks is: take a 9/16 deep well socket and the longest extension/ extensions that I can come up with(I have a 36" 3/8 extension @ work). Place the socket over the nut. push extesion towards the front of car. push towards rear of car. repeat until upper portion of shaft breaks off.

Where was this post at yesterday when I needed it. LOL..just replaced another forum members original shocks on this car yesterday and I couldnt get the nut to break loose for #$^&. I ended up dremeling the nut off.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I can never get the damned nuts to break loose. I learned this from a guy I used to work with who had his own shop for 40yrs.:)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Yup, that's the best way to do it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts