Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a trans in my 96 impala I got it from a 96 roadmaster wagon! The first problem is the shifting is all off my park is drive and d1 is park and so on. Second I went for a test drive and I had good shifting from 1-2 and then lost all gears all of a sudden! where do I start checking for no movement and how to fix shifter?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
...The first problem is the shifting is all off my park is drive and d1 is park and so on...
???

dude. I know you're upset about the tranny, but the quality of responses is a direct result of the quality of the questions. Smartphones are notorious for spell checking sentences into meaningless rubbish. Take the time to formulate complete, well thought out and well written questions.

Now...

Are you saying the shift lever is stuck and won't budge?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea sorry bout that im on computer now! No the lever will shift in and out of gear but on my console the indicator that tells you if you are in park and reverse and drive and so on is not right the indicator is in park but the car wants to drive forward and if it put it in reverse it still wants to go forward same with neutral then when I put it in overdrive it is in neutral then drive is reverse and 2 is park! Now it wont move at all in any gear but it will go in park but park is 2 on the console does that make any sense!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
We're trying...

So you're saying the indicator doesn't jive w/ the actual gear you're in. That's basically cosmetic. The indicator probably needs to be disassembelled, reinstalled plumb and true and the band re-attached. But this won't produce mechanical, driveability issues. Aside from the indicator, any driveability issues?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I have no movement in any gear! I took it for a test drive thinking that is was just cosmetic but as I was driving it was shifting fine until I tried to get it to third gear then when it tried to shift from 2-3 it reved up and I let off throttle made the turn on the corner and then I had no movement so I stopped tried to shift to different gear and still nothing not even reverse! I don't know what actual gear I was in while driving so I could have been in low 1 or any forward gear so I don't know if that makes a difference! I thought if it is in a D 1 it will not shift to 2nd or 3rd! And if it is D2 it will not shift to third but if I tried to go faster to get to third in any of those gears would that cause failure to the pump or anything?

The 96 roadmaster I took the trans out of was a running and smooth driving trans and car but it was a column shifter not a floor console I think that is why the gears don't match up and I don't know how to change it! Any ideas what is going on?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
OK. Start w/ checking the linkage. Not familiar w/ the 96 floor shift, but it certainly sounds like something got lost or off synch during the swap.

fwiw, whenever testing a new tranny, put the car up securely on stands and test the progression of the shifts while it's up in the air first. Once satisfied, then road test.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
While you're checking the linkage, knock on the bottom of the pan to hear for anything rattling around. Once installed a boost valve improperly, it dropped down in the pan and no pressure, no shift.

Did you install a shift kit or do anything else to the RM tranny?

Also, you mentioned in another thread that you were comparing the RM TC to the SS TC and were told they're effectively the same. Which did you install and when you installed it, are you sure you mated it to the tranny properly?

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
fwiw, whenever testing a new tranny, put the car up securely on stands and test the progression of the shifts while it's up in the air first. Once satisfied, then road test.
x1,000 Always benchcheck any repair before full run.

ATX SS, your description of symptoms are all over the place. Impossible to sort and order what you're describing. However, I'm reminded I once replaced a tranny after full rebuild and could not get any correct shifting while still up on jacks. After 2 days of depression I began removing the transmission for teardown and inspection of what I must have assembled wrong, -- and low and behold found I had only rough-set the large electrical connector, but never actually plugged it in! I felt perfectly stupid, I plugged it in, and everything worked perfectly.

Cliffs: Recheck ALL your work. Start, and re-repeat, with the basics. The only other thing outside of installation oversights might be whether you saw the tranny operating properly while still in the donor car.

And, yah like SEO- says it's real easy to install a TC wrong. I did it improperly the first time I ever put one in. All manner of problems. After that I learned the importance of feeling/hearing enough "clunks" before bolting it up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While you're checking the linkage, knock on the bottom of the pan to hear for anything rattling around. Once installed a boost valve improperly, it dropped down in the pan and no pressure, no shift.

Did you install a shift kit or do anything else to the RM tranny?

Also, you mentioned in another thread that you were comparing the RM TC to the SS TC and were told they're effectively the same. Which did you install and when you installed it, are you sure you mated it to the tranny properly?
No shift kit was installed I put in new filter and gasket and new tailshaft seal and front pump seal!

I put the RM TC in with the RM trans and yes I heard it clunck when I put it in then waited for about 30 min before install to see if it was leaking and turned it to make sure it would not come off!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good news is the shift cable is fixed bad news is the pump is bad no flow of fluid so no pressure so no shift!! Back to square 1! Thanks for all the help fellas! Greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
You'll need to retrace your steps putting the pump seal in. The problem is there somewhere. Trannies are fickle and you've to take extra care when working on them. If you're at all unfamiliar w/ it, it's best to put the smartphone to good use and document/take copious pictures of everything you do. Can help a lot later when you're scratching your head.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just remember to take your time and check the simple things first...

Fluid level - can check fine idling in park after initial fill but as you work through the gears and fill the passages, servos, accumulators, and converter you can draw the pan down and suck air. You may need more than recommended for a simple filter change.

External leaks - seals and gaskets, don't forget the cooler lines.

Poor/ loose electrical connectIion or bent pins - use an inspection mirror and contact cleaner

Filter pickup air leak- filter may have fallen out or the seal was damaged and the pump is sucking air.

Hope one of these solves your problem!

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
You had reverse shifts because you installed the arm on the transmission shift lever 180 degrees off. You had it to the up side and it should have been down. That said, if the trans worked in the other car, it should have also worked in yours. Despite the leak, does it work at all?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes you are right that was the problem but that's fixed!! it was working at first I went around the block to test it and at the last corner it stopped working no forward or reverse! its like it pumped the leftover fluid it had cause it was not completely drained then could not get the rest of the fluid like it lost prime and now has air! If that makes sense

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have checked everything I can without pulling trans took pan off filter was good no leaks at all connections are good the next thing is to pull it right? Or is there anything else before pulling? I took off inlet line to cooler and no fluid is coming out!! that means the pump is not working right?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
well I went ahead and pulled the trans (in a record 36 min) took the torque convertor off and there was the problem the two ears the converter slides on to are broken off so it will not turn the pump!!!:D how can I fix this? I know my pump from my old tranny is working cause I still had reverse and 1st and 2nd gear just no 3rd or 4th so can I take my pump and put it in the new trans?

Font Clutch Auto part Gear Metal

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On the road again

All is well now:D I switched pumps and TC. Installed trans and she is running good she shifts so smooth now!! Thanks to all for the help guys!!
ON TO THE NEXT

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.