Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys I have a 96 SS and wanted to lower my car down some since i cant look at the front no more. I tried using the stickies but alot of the links are not working.

I was thinking to get the eibach pro kit with bilstien shocks but not sure which bils to get the b6?

also from pics I have seen all lowering sprinfs still dont have the rake look more so the rear looks lower which i dont like. if i was to get the eibachs has anyone cut a hair of the fronts to make car even?

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Eibachs or Hotchkiss springs should work well.
Also the Monroe Severe Service shocks are a good alternative to
Bilsteins at half the cost. We use them to race at the circle track.

Nab

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for reply I thinking i am just going to cut the front stocks springs to match better the rear. I dont really want to go lower then the stock rear now so no point on eibachs..

I will go with bilsitens b6 since i like them on my other cars..

quick question i notice my rear is 1" difference in height from the left to right. is this normal on the ss?

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Recommended: read 50 threads on cutting coils; cut once. Use a cutoff saw and not a torch or you're gonna p off a lot of guys here.

And that difference not normal. Bent stab bar is my first pick, bound control arm bushing, sacked out coil, even a galled shock. You can even check for the famous ""control arm hole punched in the wrong place on the frame" problem, but that may be for only certain years or production run. Search.

A real stretch can be a problem from the front manifesting itself in the rear.

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
No,you've likely got a bent sway bar. Or,and improperly installed front spring. Do not cut the Eibach's...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys means a lot.

I am going to stick with the stock springs and cut them in the front little at a time like other said in other postings.

My understand is all I need to buy to complete the job at the fancy bump stops and also remove some shims to help alignment

I will be ordering full set front and rear bilstiens b6 shocks

is there anything else i need to order before I Start the job?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I would buy these Moog 7268 Coil Spring Set from Amazon, It lowers the Impala down about 1 inch and handles so much better. I used them 8 or 9 times for SS rebuilds. I keep a few pairs in stock, a set will be going in my 1995 Roadmaster SS build soon. you can even cut then if needed. but all I would go would be 1/2 coil

·
Registered
737 Posts
Eibachs or Hotchkiss springs should work well.
Also the Monroe Severe Service shocks are a good alternative to
Bilsteins at half the cost. We use them to race at the circle track.
I had the Monroe Severe Service shocks on my '96 RMW and they were terrible. Too much high-speed damping, so I'd feel all the bumps that the car would hit, and too little low-speed damping, so the car would wallow around turns or over undulations in the road's surface. It was literally the worst of both worlds--terrible comfort and terrible handling. My '94 Caprice wagon has the Bilsteins and they are night-and-day difference better than the Monroe Severe Service shocks.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
I had the Monroe Severe Service shocks on my '96 RMW and they were terrible. Too much high-speed damping, so I'd feel all the bumps that the car would hit, and too little low-speed damping, so the car would wallow around turns or over undulations in the road's surface. It was literally the worst of both worlds--terrible comfort and terrible handling. My '94 Caprice wagon has the Bilsteins and they are night-and-day difference better than the Monroe Severe Service shocks.
You get what you pay for. If your on a budget, Monroe is a good choice.

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
By the time you replace the Monroe's one time... You'll be at,or exceeding the cost of the Bilstein's which offer far better handling,and life...

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
By the time you replace the Monroe's one time... You'll be at,or exceeding the cost of the Bilstein's which offer far better handling,and life...
Yes it will. I run Bilstein's now. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts