Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Impala SS
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys, i seem to have a fringed rubber piece which connects to the what i believe is the radiator. Can someone please tell me what this is? Im assuming its not difficult replace?
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Cable Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Whats up guys, i seem to have a fringed rubber piece which connects to the what i believe is the radiator.
Can someone please tell me what this is? Im assuming its not difficult to replace?

SupaSpawtdZy's radiator is a VERY early '94.
If its coolant reservoir has TWO connections on top (NOT pictured here yet), it's also a very early '94 reservoir.

ONLY a very early '94 coolant reservoir and a very early '94 radiator can directly connect with a hose.
Do not connect them during the winter unless you don't mind waiting 10min for any trace of heating.
GM determined that directly connecting the radiator to the reservoir directly causes exceedingly long warmup times, which is bad for the block and the heads in the long run.

By mid '94, if anyone tried to replace either the radiator or the coolant reservoir, the radiator and the coolant reservoir no longer had a direct connection available.

That could explain the very old and brittle rubber cap on the upper passenger side of the radiator.
(Try replacing that cap with a longer hose and a tightly fit bolt.
You can use the hose to burp the cooling system of air without wetting the Opti- with coolant.)
Are the '94s the ones where the oil cooler lines go to the radiator or is that just on F-bodies?
Oil lines go to a driver-side radiator side tank on nearly every civilian LT1 sedan and wagon that is not a 9C1 / 1A2.
(9C1 & 1A2 use separate external motor oil coolers.)
(KNP wagons use both radiator side tanks as ATF coolers, lacking motor oil cooling much like L99 sedans.)

·
Registered
12,228 Posts
A piece of hose with a bolt (with a shank, or bolt in it and another clamp would fix your issue.

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
If you use a piece of hose and a bolt , make sure to use worm clamps that are extra long too.
Nothing looks better than a bolt stuffed in a hose and long tails coming out of clamps.🙄🙄

There are more "elegant" solutions

Automotive tire Cylinder Liquid Font Synthetic rubber

Automotive tire Light Tire Black Synthetic rubber

Waiting for the function over form police to weigh in

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
My 94 B4U with April build month,had the 2 hose reservoir and the radiator nipple. I replaced the reservior with a 95/96 single hose and capped off the small nipple on radiator.I used a piece of thick wall hose(fuel,etc...) and short bolt/w worm clamps.Been six years so far so good.
Those common auto parts store rubber caps don't hold up very long.
Except the silicone example 95wagon linked above......those look excellent!
Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
12,228 Posts
You can even cut the head of the bolt off, or use an appropriate diameter piece of round bar stock.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
My aftermarket radiator (received earlier this year) has the nipple provision pictured there. I just capped it off.
It may not be super old but rather an aftermarket radiator.

Reactions: SupaSpawtdZy

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
There are more "elegant" solutions

View attachment 205808
This is what I would recommend. The cheapie caps you can find at auto parts stores I assume are more-so for vacuum type lines. And over time they get brittle, not good for a coolant cap. I’ve used one like pictured above in the past and [[knocks on wood]] never a problem.

·
Registered
710 Posts
My aftermarket radiator (received earlier this year) has the nipple provision pictured there. I just capped it off.
It may not be super old but rather an aftermarket radiator.
I second this, both my 96' and my dad's 95' have that nipple on the radiator, blocked off with a cheap rubber cap exactly like OP's.
Mine was leaking when I got it, so I threaded a bolt into it with a bit of epoxy. Worked great.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I see thats there’s different diameters. Any suggestions on the size needed for my radiator?
My OST brand radiator from RockAuto needed (i believe) a 3/8” cap.
EDIT: Looking back, it looks like I used the same HPS Performance brand that 95wagon linked.

·
Registered
96 Impala SS
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanx for the suggestions/ help friends. 💯 simple fix, i think the mechanics in my area hate working on my 96 being as though its an “ol’ school” vehicle. Put the plug on myself. No more leakage, thanx again yall 💯💯💯

Gesture Finger Eyewear Thumb Nail

1 - 15 of 15 Posts