Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a remote starter on my 96 monte carlo Z34 this weekend. I had everything hooked up correctly (or so I think) and I went to test the system out by letting it start and run for 15 minutes so the remote start would shut off like advertised. Side note, the car when started by remote didn't sound right as compared to starting it by key. Anyways, I went back outside after 20 mins to check on it and sure it enough it turned off. I went to restart it and now it won't start. The dome light comes on when I open the door, I get beeping sounds when I put my key in the ignition, but it won't turn over or crank. I could smell something burning when I opened my hood around the battery area but that's about it.
I double-checked all of my connections and they seem fine. I plan on un-installing the remote start tonight so I can take it to a mechanic. Any ideas on what it could be? I hope this isn't going to be one of those expensive life lessons. Thanks for all your help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When you start taking things apart, start at the circuit that you put in to fake the vats out. Remove that first, then see if your car starts.

It will sound different because you are not inside the car?

Peter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your 96 Monte have the "Vats key" on it? (Ignition key with a little black resistor on it)All I Can say is that we did a complete Remote start/Alarm/Remote door lock setup on my Son's 94 Chevy Pickup and it was a Major PITA but it all worked fine when done! Only suggestion I can give you is to re-trace all your connections because it sounds like two of them are crossed or 1 is connected to the wrong terminal?
:confused: ......Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, I removed the remote starter and bypass module for the VATS and still no luck :(
I tried junping the battery and that was a dead-end, which I thought anyways but couldn't hurt to try. When I put the key in the ignition and turn to start the instrument cluster and accessories blower and radio do not come on at all. Only the domelight works. Looks like I need to take it to a mechanic. Good thing my impala is running or I'd never get to work. Thannks for your help.

-Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would put my nose in the engine bay and really try to figure out where the 'fried electronics' smell you mentioned is coming from. Depending on where that got you I would try figuring out why the Radio, blower etc. don't come on (ie start at the battery and check the voltages along the way to your radio, blower, etc.). Does your dome light and other lights work in the car but are very dim? Might still be the battery. Not saying you don't know how to jump a car but what does the battery read with a voltmeter? I don't mean to insult you but you checked your fuses? You have a ton of clues here to go on. If you think you are up to installing a remote starter, you oughta be able to troubleshoot it when something is wrong.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well kiddies, I've just learned a $661.40 lesson.
1 Starter, 1 Relay, 2 40 amp fuses, and labor later and I have my car back
I need to find something so I can smash I'm so mad at myself.

I just have to wonder if I actually did anything wrong and the car was on its way out anyways or what? Well, there goes getting in on the impala ss carpet deal going on right now
I bought that car specifically so I wouldn't have to drive my imp during the winter but now this week it's been raining/snowing/freezing and my poor imp is all dirty again. Sorry for the rant, just have to vent some steam.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you know the mechanic? I just have to wonder if your starter was really bad. I seem to believe if you removed the remote starter and replaced the two 40 amp (body) fuses from under the hood, you may have got it going again. I mean if it started the first time, then the starter and it's relay was apparently hooked up correctly, making me think it wasn't bad. Now if you heard the starter engaging while the car was running (when you got it started the first time) then I would say, "yeah starter is F-ed up."

Did you get your old starter back from the mechanic? You could always wire it up with a pos and neg and see if it turns. Be careful tho.. screw it down to a piece of wood or something first. Don't just hold it. It could rotate in your hand and hurt you...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't gotten my car yet, will have to do that tonite after work...according to the mechanic, the relay was toast and it was bolted to the firewall behind the glovebox so the dash had to somewhat come apart...the starter "melted" so hence the new one. They had to bring in a guy from a Car Audio shop that installs remote starters so he could trace the issue because the mechanic and his boys couldn't locate the problem. On top of this they decided to change my oil since I "needed" it which pisses me off cuz I didn't ask for it to be done and I was planning on doing it soon myself since I was a little over my mileage limit.
I can only imagine what the total cost would be if I took the car to a GM dealership...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I Hate to say it but it sounds like something wasn't hooked up correctly? If the car worked fine before this remote starter went in, Something probably went wrong in your install process (Im not ribbing you here), It Happens to most of us at one time or the other!. I Have one rule I Use when doing these things: I Get a wiring schematic of the exact vehicle im working on at the time! I Also use a test light and Volt/Ohm Meter and check each connection as I Go! Im also suspect of the "Starter" Needing replaced? If im not mistaken, Their are "Fusable Links" Between the starter and the rest of the electrical system and these should have blown before the starter fried! Unless the starter stayed engaged and burned up, I Too would check the old starter when you get your car!....Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got back from the mechanic...he showed me the starter. it looked like toast. He did check the fusable links first but the baffling part he said was that they checked out fine! $280 for a frickin remanufactured NAPA starter :eek:

The mechanic's son who works at the stereo shop said I incorrectly hooked up the starter wire by connecting it to the remote starter before the ignition switch when I should've done it after the switch. I wish they would have said that in the directions and install video. I downloaded the color wire chart so I had all the correct wires.

For a review:
$49.99 - Bulldog remote starter (Wal-mart special)
$32.99 - VATS bypass module from Autozone
$50.00 - misc. tools (Halogen lamp, heater, wire strippers)
$661.40 - repair broken car
========
$794.38 - most expensive lesson I've learned

and to think I scoffed at having to pay $200 to have a pro install it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The mechanic's son who works at the stereo shop said I incorrectly hooked up the starter wire by connecting it to the remote starter before the ignition switch when I should've done it after the switch.
:eek: :eek:

Ah yes,That would do it! I suspected that's what probably happened as I Mentioned is my previous post! Again, This is why you use a test light or meter to probe each wire for proper operation before making the final connection. $280.00 for a reman starter for a 96 Monte carlo? You might as well have taken it to a GM Dealer! That seems pretty steep to me! I Think they made a profit off the starter as well (Alot shops do this also). They buy it for $175.00 at Napa, Have it delivered or go get it and turn around and tack on $100.00 For their troubles! Im not Trying to "Bum you out" Here but it's for these very reasons that I Learned to fix most everything on the cars/Trucks I Own Myself! Last summer when I Was out of state, The wife took her 93 Roadmaster to a Goodyear service center for an Oil change and lube (Something I Usually do) She didn't have the car on the rack for 10 Min and they tried to tell her she needed a new Idler arm at a cost of $352.00 for the job! I Had just rebuilt the entire front end with moog parts 6 Months earlier and had it aligned! She called me, I Cussed out the service manager and she left! The same idler arm they wanted to install was only $54.00 inc taxes at the local autozone and we didn't even need it! You are correct! This was a lesson well learned! Sorry to hear it cost you this much $$$ to learn it!......Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ouch.. napaonline.com states for the 96 monte carlo w/ dohc:

NAPA Power Electrical Starter w/ Solenoid - Remfd

Item#: RSE2465109

Price: $ 154.99
tax and shipping not included
Core Price: $ 55.00

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.