Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car started acting up the past couple days..It feels like something is holding it down from driving as powerful as it normally does. Like the e-brake is still one type of feeling, but that's not the case. I checked my tranny fluid thinking maybe I was low and it might have been slipping but the fluid was a healthy color and at a normal level. When I accelerate it feels ruff and thrashy like my car is too heavy to push or I'm hauling a big load...Anyone have a slight idea as to what this could be??? I'd appreciate any help:)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Any recent maintenance done or needs to be done? When it accelerates is there any backfiring, does it clear up at a certain rpm?

·
Registered
656 Posts
By your description, it could be a whole mess of things. Your parking brake might be engaged (not likely), cats could be clogged, lazy oxygen sensors, failing EGR valve, dirty MAF sensor, tune-up needed, crappy gas.... Take your pick, but a better description and some detective duty will help.

As asked above, what has been done to the car lately? How many miles does your car have? Make + model?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By your description, it could be a whole mess of things. Your parking brake might be engaged (not likely), cats could be clogged, lazy oxygen sensors, failing EGR valve, dirty MAF sensor, tune-up needed, crappy gas.... Take your pick, but a better description and some detective duty will help.

As asked above, what has been done to the car lately? How many miles does your car have? Make + model?

My car has 76k miles on it....It was a previous police car so I don't have any documentation of what service has been done, but considering all the "service at so and so many miles" stickers it has on it and the condition of the car when I got it, Everything was working cool until this issue came up and it's given me no problems for the last 8k miles I've owned it for. Other than an oil change every 3k miles, and an alignment I haven't done anything to it yet. The car does have a small, but constant oil leak though. It looks to be the water pump seal/ timing gasket. I did notice today that the oil pressure gauge needle would drop near the red when I let off the accelerator, but quickly would bounce right back to the middle when I gave it gas, which is where it normally sits at. So I am wondering if maybe I have low oil pressure. I did recently switch from the usual Castrol edge synthetic 5w30 to German Castrol synthetic 0w30. I added some STP fuel injecter cleaner soon after that. I don't have any check engine lights come on. I recently started putting in cheveron 91 supreme again, but was running arco 89 octane for a while. I had a Cadillac Deville once, and when the tranny was going out on that it was more of a loose light feeling of slippage. This one sorta feels like it's slipping, but sorta doesnt. More like it's struggling to push my heavy car instead of the usual effortless pull feeling that I'm use to. I mashed on the gas tonite after work and it took a minute for the car to finally respond and pull. Also when I put the car in drive or reverse it does so just fine with no serious hop or hesitation. Once I let off the brakes it starts rolling fine as usual. It only seems to be acting up when I am taking it from 30-75 mph. I am going to be taking it to a shop to have it looked at soon and I am going to be checking my fuel pressure soon. I feel it could probably also be low oil pressure, my tranny or maybe my rear differential?? Hope I could be helpful in detail with my discription...It's just a real odd ball for me. LOL

·
Registered
375 Posts
Before taking it to a shop, try cleaning the MAF and throtle body. Easy to do and costs only a coupl of $$. Next check the EGR valve, again easy to do and cost no $$. Mine had a similer problem and it was the MAF, I changed it out and the "slight stumble" was gone. You could also have a vacume leak (old hoses) and the back of the intake likes to leak over time. One more thing to check is the back ex. manafold bolts, they love to come lose over time and messes with the oxygen sensors. These cars are pretty easy to work on with only minor tools, if you have to take it to the garage every time something goes wrong it will dime you to death! Do your self a favor and get a set of FSM, you can find them on E-Bay most of the time for around $50.00, sometimes more and sometimes less, they can be your best friend when tracking down the little gremlis that get into our cars. Good luck - Lance

·
Registered
375 Posts
To test the egr valve, remove the vacuum hose from the egr valve, and depress the diaphram and put your finger over the vacuum port. If it dont hold vacuum, its bad. Also, its possible for the egr to get carboned up so bad that the pintle wont seat good enough to seal. The egr valve has to be removed to clean the crud from the pintle/seat. If you need a new egr, source one from an M6 lt1 f-body, they have a better spring and diaphram than the b-body lt1 egr valve.

This was posted a couple of threds down and will help you test the EGR

·
Registered
617 Posts
man you had the same problem I have right now. Only I don't have any leaks but my exhaust was clogged for a minute till I got a new one installed. There is that slight "stutter" and underpower feeling when I try to step on it at a stop or low speeds. It does what feels normal at higher speeds. I thought it was the tranny but these symptoms can hopefully be something a lot less expensive.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Don't worry about the oil pressure, that won't effect the engine issue's you describe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.