Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know this is a long shot, but I just got here to Jax for school, and the rear glass on my wagon SHATTERED. I just opened it and I don't know what happened, it practically exploded around the edges. I'm okay, physically but now I have a bigger problem: no rear glass, and of course, it's raining.

I have some trash bags there now but obviously this isn't a temporary solution. I don't have a lot of cash right now, but I get a huge refund check from school in like 3-4 weeks. This is probably the biggest shot in the dark EVER, but does anyone have a rear glass who can help me install it in Jacksonville, Florida? I can pay a little, and maybe more down the line but I need glass now. :(

If anyone can help, PLLEEEEEASE PM me and I'll give you a phone number. I'm desperate. :(

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
I have a glass with heat in very good condition. I am in Largo, FL. I can ship it with Greyhound. Total cost should be in the $100 range shipped. Let me know.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Installation is easy. Check your hinges for damage. Sometimes the threaded insert detaches and spins in the plastic hinge part. I have the hinge parts too if you need them. The hinge pin can be tapped/pushed out from the recessed side (left) if the part has failed. Then pressed/tapped in with an appropriate tool. You do not have to remove the hinge from the body.

I have installed 2 windows without any help. I held the window in the open position, with the top edge in the rain gutter, and attached the struts, then I attached the hinges to the window. It takes about 1/2 hour max. It is easier if you can get an accomplice.

You need a 13 or 15 mm wrench to turn the bolts. Be careful with the latch/brake light bolts, they have two thread tracks, and if you get it in the wrong one, it will strip out the handle.

You may have to work the window a little to get it centered, and aligned across the gate. It is not difficult.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good offer but for that price I can drive down to Sprocket in Delray Beach and have him help me install the one he has.

I'm not sure about the install, I'm kind of scared of it as I'm really not that mechanically inclined. Ughhhh....

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Check your hinges!!! If they have self destructed you need the plastic part. If they, or one of them does not allow the screw to be removed, you won't be able to install the new window. I have had to replace the plastic part on 2 hinges, and over 50% of the hinges were not usable on the widows I have removed.

Sprocket is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Glass installed. hinges, and everything checked out so dunno why it broke on him.
sorry for the blurry photo, thunderstorm made it really dark out (just in time install, ha ha ha).

Got a Lil Red Wagon?? :)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Glass installed. hinges, and everything checked out so dunno why it broke on him.
I already know it, he has done several things for me, but there is a good guy--Mr. Sprocket!

Tom C.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sprocket is my new hero. :D Thank you for your kindness (and the glass lol), and best of luck with your kitchen. lol

Now to find my rear wiper... definitely don't want to delete it anymore. It's quite a pain in the rain (I know, I know, I have mad skillz and what not).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts