Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 96 impala ss and I want to know if I should lower the car with Eibach Pro-Kit Spring Set with 1.2" lower in front and 1.0" in rear with Bilstein HD Shock or get the Hotchkis 94-96 Impala SS X-Tend Rear Suspension Package for the better ride? Please any help is helpful:):):). Eventualy I do want to get some Bonspeed staggered 20" rims also. What would be the best ride possible with handling and no scrapping or rubbing??????

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
First welcome to the site. Next, it's pretty much up to you. There are different types of springs and suspension packages that many of us prefer over another.

I went with a complete Hotchkis suspension package. I did front and rear sway bars, drop coils, Xtend upper and lower control arms in the rear, Bilstein shocks including brand new suspension components. I then went and picked up a brand new set up Speed Tech upper and lower control arms for the front.

The SS rides and handles excellent. I'm riding 22" wheels with my set up. I do get a smalll amount of rubbing on the passenger side when I ride with more weight (i.e. passengers) in the back. I don't normally do that so it's no big deal to me.

One of these days when time permits, I will be switching out my rear end so that I can get the SS to tuck and not rub at all. It would already be done except for the fact that it is going to get gutted and powder coated. Once that is done, I might as well go with Eaton posi, 410 gears and moser axles. Why not huh?

Stay tuned. and good luck with your choice and set up. ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Some people like the Eibach's, a lot don't. If it's a choice between those and Hotchkis, I would probably do Hotchkis because i've rarely seen any complaints on those at all and I love the stance. Can't go wrong with the Bilstein's, I love them. I did run Eibach's on my 93 and remember them being a bit soft. FWIW and my $.02.

Sean

·
Premium Member
6,706 Posts
If you're doing this purely for improvement of the ride then the extended trailing arms aren't even part of the equation, until maybe once you're ready for bigger rims because you may need the space. Generally speaking though, that's a cosmetic modification.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I just got my 96 impala ss and I want to know if I should lower the car with Eibach Pro-Kit Spring Set with 1.2" lower in front and 1.0" in rear with Bilstein HD Shock or get the Hotchkis 94-96 Impala SS X-Tend Rear Suspension Package for the better ride? Please any help is helpful:):):). Eventualy I do want to get some Bonspeed staggered 20" rims also. What would be the best ride possible with handling and no scrapping or rubbing??????
The X-Tend suspension is mostly a cosmetic modification, unless you are planning a larger rear sway bar. If you are, then you MUST upgrade your rear control arms.

For springs...Eibachs are generally not very well reviewed for the Impala SS. The Bilstein shocks are GREAT. I'm a little biased - but you might want to check these out for springs:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=227789

·
Registered
167 Posts
Dropped Fullsize, what rear are you going with?

·
Vendor
141 Posts
Hello
I noticed that a few people are asking about a extended rear control arm set-up! And I just wanted to leave you know that UMI Performance also offer a extended version of the rear control arms. Below is a link to show what UMI Performance has to offer and all of our products are made in the USA.
http://www.umiperformance.com/catal...x&cPath=4_76&zenid=sh1bg0tgn5jjdut58kjmht63n2

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks Dropped. I sent you a pm.

UMI, how much extension will we get outta your arms?

·
Vendor
141 Posts
Thanks Dropped. I sent you a pm.

UMI, how much extension will we get outta your arms?
Hello
The total length of our arms and safe is for the lowers is 23 1/16 and the uppers extend to 12 3/4. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad :D

·
Premium Member
6,706 Posts
I did not opt for extended trailing arms, but I do have UMI's boxed stock-length trailing arms and they are a very well-built product for considerably less than the competition.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.